About this Organization
Established in 1899, South University ( www.southuniversity.edu) is a private academic institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities for the intellectual, social and professional development of a diverse student population. South University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctorate degrees. The University traces its heritage to 1899, when Dr. John Draughon established Draughon’s Practical Business College in Savannah, Georgia. Over the past century-plus, South University has experienced continued growth transforming from a two-year college into a university offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs.South University’s approach to higher education, and the resulting varied academic experiences, provides students with the pragmatic approach necessary to create the foundation for personal and professional fulfillment. The University provides a learning environment, both on-campus and online, that helps students identify goals and the means to achieve them. With this philosophy in mind, students can learn by interacting with a community of faculty, staff and administration dedicated to South University’s academic purpose. South University offers more than 50 academic programs across its 11 campuses and through online programs. The University’s academics are organized across five colleges: Arts and Sciences, Business, Health Professions, Nursing and Public Health, Theology – and a School of Pharmacy. South University’s students are engaged in the communities in which they live and attend school. They volunteer their talents to organizations large and small, personifying a commitment to service and to their communities. With the introduction of South University, Online Programs, students can pursue both undergraduate degree and master’s degree programs ranging from the areas of Criminal Justice to Business – giving South University students more opportunities to make a difference, both personally and professionally.
Category: Faculty (Full TIme & Adjunct)
Job Type: Adjunct Faculty
Company/Division: Dream Center Education Holdings, LLC -> South University
Minimum Education Required: Master’s Degree
Requisition Code: 13001.1111643
Location: South University – Richmond – Glen Allen, VA 23060 US (Primary)
Travel Required: No travel
The part time instructor facilitates meaningful learning of the course competencies in the curriculum and proactively supports all facets of the learning environment. S/He provides education through learning-centered instruction that will enable graduates to fulfill the evolving needs of the marketplace. S/He encourages a culture of learning that values mutual responsibility and respect, life-long learning and ethics as well as personal and professional development. This position is part time/adjunct only. Incumbent must assure that the South University philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion – is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements
- Provides competency-based education which aligns with the South University model of curricula as well as supports the South University style of system delivery.
- Designs and delivers class instruction through the development of instructional plans to meet course competencies, the development of activities which support lesson objectives, and (in the case of online instructors ONLY) delivers the instruction as approved.
- Enables the achievement of pre-described exit competencies for student achievement and evaluation of learning by providing instruction which fosters competencies and establish student performance criteria and evaluation.
- Delivers learning-centered instruction by establishing a classroom environment conducive to learning and student involvement as well as effectively planning and preparing for classes and student success.
- Promotes student success by showing flexibility in style and work schedule as well as exhibiting a passion for teaching and students and engaging students in the learning process.
- Manages the learning environment through keeping accurate records, submitting grades and other reports on time, and enforcing school/campus academic and attendance policies.
- Contributes to a learning culture by participating on curriculum and system task forces, supporting local campus events such as orientation and graduation, and participating in various other workshops and meetings.
- Relates professional/life/industry experience to learning by the continuation of professional/technical skills development, the introduction of industry perspective into courses, and the active awareness of professional/industry trends and opportunities.
Reports To: Dean of System-Wide Programs, Academic Department Director
Interacts With: Academic affairs department, other school/campus functional areas, curriculum task force and other committees, other faculty, and students
- For graduate programs, a terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution in the discipline to be taught, with a concentration in the teaching discipline (minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline) required.
- For undergraduate programs, a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in the discipline to be taught, with a concentration in the teaching discipline (minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline) required.
- Experience in instruction or formalized education process, preferably in a post-secondary or college institution.
- Membership in a professional association tied to area of instruction preferred.
- Active, valid, and unencumbered state licensure or certification as applicable to the discipline.
- At least six months teaching experience at South University or another post-secondary education institution preferred, with online experience a plus (for online only).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to build successful relationships with student populations.
- Outstanding conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated time management and detail-oriented skills
- Computer based skills (i.e., software, analytical, and report writing skills )
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet frequently occurring deadlines.
- Ability to develop a professional rapport with diverse school/campus constituents.
- Ability to develop and complete projects without continued direct supervision
- Ability to learn from students’ participation, demonstrates fair and consistent behavior in all matters, and shows compassion without being ineffectual.
How to apply
Work Environment & Notice
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.