Welcome and Introduction:
If Part Time, hours per week:
3-8 hours per week
If temporary, please provide a start and end date:
Semester by Semester
Position Summary or Faculty Qualifications
Saint Josephs University’s Department of Modern and Classical Languages has an ongoing need for highly qualified adjunct faculty to staff a variety of courses each semester. Knowledge of proficiency based teaching in foreign languages is essential. Professionals with experience in college teaching will be given preference. Part-time adjunct faculty may instruct 1 to 2 courses each semester on an “as needed” basis. Courses available for adjunct staffing are offered during the day and also in the evening. Courses available for adjunct staffing may include teaching at an introductory, intermediate or conversation level.
For further information on the department and list of courses offered, please visit our website at www.sju.edu/int/academics/cas/mcl/.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching of a specified course/language (face-to-face, hybrid or online course(s))
- Preparation of materials
- Providing support and guidance to students
- Keeping posted office hours (1 hr per course)
- Giving prompt, regular feedback to students about their academic performance
- Reporting mid-semester and final grades electronically
- Cooperating with course coordinators or other program faculty to assure quality and consistency across the program
Participating in planning and coordination meetings
Cooperating in program assessments
Master’s Degree in Education and/or Foreign Language or closely related field.
Native or near-native proficiency in English and in the target language.
- ABD or PhD in Foreign Language and/or Education.
- Native-level proficiency in the target language.
- Previous teaching experience.
- Willingness to be flexible in class scheduling.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
May require standing for long periods of time, talking for long periods of time and carrying course materials.
Number of direct reports to this position:
212016 – Modern and Classical Languages
Job Close Date:
How to apply
Applicants must apply online at https://jobs.sju.edu. Complete applications are to include a cover letter, C.V., and contact information for three professional references. A statement on pedagogy is helpful but not required. This is a pooled position from which Adjuncts will be hired. This pooled position will serve as an electronic file and replace receiving paper CV’s. As openings occur, we will search for candidates from this pool.
Saint Joseph’s University is a private, Catholic, Jesuit institution and expects members of its community to be knowledgeable about its mission and to make a positive contribution to that mission. Saint Joseph’s University is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce. EOE M/F/V/D