NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Communication Studies program at Bemidji State University invites candidates for a two-year fixed-term position beginning in Fall 2019.
· The successful candidate will teach four courses (12 undergraduate credits) per semester.
· Primary teaching includes courses such as Public Speaking, Career and Professional Communication, and Interpersonal Communication.
· Teach additional communication courses based on expertise that may include Communication Theory, Gender Communication, Health Communication, Organizational Communication, Persuasion, Interviewing, and Conflict.
· Commitment to quality undergraduate teaching, scholarship within the discipline, student development, and service to the University, community, and discipline.
· The successful applicant will be expected to contribute to a collegial and supportive environment that advances the goals of the program, including curricular development, assessment, and other faculty departmental governance activities.
· Contribute to teaching and involvement in activities that support Bemidji State University’s values: Civic engagement and leadership, International and multicultural understanding, Belief in the power of liberal arts, and Environmental stewardship.
· Earned Master’s degree in Communication Studies, Speech Communication, or closely related Communication field.
· Demonstrated three years of teaching communication courses at the undergraduate level with particular experience in Public Speaking, Career and Professional Communication, and/or Interpersonal Communication.
Demonstrated excellence of, and commitment to, quality teaching of communication courses at the undergraduate level.
· Ph.D. in Communication Studies, Speech Communication, or closely related Communication field; particular emphasis in organizational or applied communication is desired.
· Additional demonstrated undergraduate teaching in communication courses such as Communication Theory, Gender Communication, Health Communication, Organizational Communication, Persuasion, Interviewing, and Conflict.
· Demonstrated evidence of continued or promising scholarly agenda within the communication discipline (e.g., conference presentations, publications).
· The candidate should possess strong communication and interpersonal skills, and a commitment to a collaborative, collegial working environment.
· Experience with curricular development and assessment.
· Demonstrated experience working with and/or interest in working with students and colleagues from multi-cultural and diverse backgrounds, and using culturally responsive pedagogy and practice.
· All applicants must be able to lawfully accept employment in the United States at the time of an offer of employment.
· Official transcript(s) must be provided to Human Resources upon hire.
· Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization (IFO) which can be found at https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59304e9ad2b85773b3fbdf63/t/5935923c8419c2b9668840d7/1496683075229/2015-2017_IFO_Contract+%284%29.pdf
· In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MinnState) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, faculty and staff driving on college/university business, who use a rental or state vehicle, shall be required to complete a vehicle Use Agreement form and conform to MinnState’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a motor vehicle records check.
How to apply
REQUIRED COMPLETE applications MUST include the following attachments:
· Letter of Application, which addresses the qualifications and your specific interest in teaching at Bemidji State University
· Curriculum Vita
· A teaching philosophy/statement that discusses your commitment to teaching, and experience with teaching undergraduate students
· Teaching Evaluations, where available, or evidence of teaching effectiveness
· Names and current contact information (address, email, phone number) for three professional references; particular interest in those references who can address teaching effectiveness
· Unofficial Transcript(s) of all undergraduate and graduate work (if selected for hire, official transcripts will be required)
Dr. Donna Pawlowski, Search Chair
Professor of Communication Studies