NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Department of Physical Education, Sport, and Human Performance at Winthrop University seeks a tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor of Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) to both teach courses in the PETE undergraduate and graduate programs as well as serve as the PETE Program Director.
Position Availability: August 15, 2019
The Richard W. Riley College of Education (COE) has a strong reputation in the preparation and advancement of highly qualified professionals for South Carolina and the country. Historically renowned in teacher preparation, Winthrop University is NCATE-accredited and has received national recognition for its clinically-based teacher preparation and partnerships with local schools. The university enjoys close proximity to Charlotte, NC, high quality local schools, and an affordable cost of living. The college is committed to building a diverse educational environment. Individuals from under-represented groups or with experience working with under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
- Teach physical education pedagogy and other related courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Serve as the Program Director for the PETE program (undergraduate and graduate)
- Supervise interns in field and internship placements
- Advise undergraduate and graduate students
- Provide leadership at the departmental level with curriculum development, accreditation, program planning, and student recruitment
- Participate in service to the program, department, college, and university
- Collaborate with public school/university faculty to plan and teach an experience-based curriculum
- Conduct educationally significant research to improve the education of children
- Use technology to enhance student learning, increase access, maintain program data, and facilitate recruitment and retention efforts
- Provide service to the profession in community and professional organizations
- Seek grants to support curriculum and program development
- Engage in teaching and other program-related activities in the evenings, summers, online, and occasionally weekends, as needed
About Winthrop University
Founded in 1886 and located in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Winthrop University offers its 6,000-plus undergraduate and graduate students an educational experience that blends liberal arts, professional programs, global awareness, and civic engagement. In its degree-granting Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, and Visual and Performing Arts, Winthrop embraces only those programs and activities that can be delivered at an exemplary level. Winthrop is well known for its inclusive and supportive campus environment, with University College supporting programs in both academic and student affairs. Winthrop University is achieving national stature as a competitive and distinctive co-educational, public, residential, comprehensive, values-oriented institution. The values of service, excellence, diversity, community, and leadership provide the foundation for the University’s continuing development and shape Winthrop’s continuing success. Numerous national accolades reflect the sustained high quality and value of the Winthrop Experience, including the most recent U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Winthrop as one of the top-10 public comprehensive universities in the South. Winthrop is an active member of the Rock Hill community and is recognized as a key component of the region’s economic resurgence. Approximately 20 minutes from Charlotte, North Carolina, Winthrop has direct access to and is engaged in a broad and expansive regional arts and business community. Winthrop’s beautiful campus encompasses a rich architectural blend of neo-Georgian buildings and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The attractive recreational and research complex area that surrounds Winthrop Lake is home to Winthrop’s 18 Division I men’s and women’s sports.
Winthrop University is committed to providing a safe campus community. Winthrop conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
- Earned doctorate in Physical Education Teacher Education or closely related field
- P-12 teaching experience
- Record of emerging or demonstrated scholarship commensurate with rank
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at the department, college, university, and community levels
- At least 3 years of successful P-12 teaching experience across health, physical education, and levels
- Successful college teaching experience
- Experience with accreditation procedures and assessments (CAEP/SHAPE America)
- Experience with preparing physical education teacher candidates for the edTPA
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Ability to teach other courses as needed such as undergraduate research methods, motor learning, or education core curriculum
- Demonstrated ability in the use of technology and digital tools for instructional purposes
Employment Conditions: A nine-month, full-time, tenure-track position. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Option of summer employment with sufficient enrollments.
How to apply
Application review will begin on October 15, 2018. Applications received after the start of review may be considered if an acceptable candidate is not identified. Submit the following materials:
- A cover letter including the candidate’s interest in the position, leadership experiences, qualifications, teaching philosophy, and research interests;
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Graduate transcripts for all advanced degrees (unofficial acceptable for application phase); and
- Names and contact information for five professional references. (Provide in the required form available in application system.)
- Additional materials may be requested during the review process.
Specific questions related to this search should be directed to email@example.com