One or more Assistant Instructor or Assistant Lecturer (Assistant Teacher) position(s) in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, College of Education and Human Services, Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Responsibilities include serving as an Assistant Teacher in the Southern Region Early Childhood Programs with at-risk three and four year old children in a prekindergarten classroom. Position(s) contingent on available funding.
- Baccalaureate degree with preschool or kindergarten experience. Appointment will be at the Assistant Instructor level with a Baccalaureate degree and at the Assistant Lecturer level with a Master’s degree.
- Applicant must hold Professional Educator License or a Paraprofessional Educator License and register the license in the Regional Office of Education where they are teaching.
- Applicants must hold a philosophical orientation consistent with developmentally appropriate educational practices as defined by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
This is a security-sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Early Childhood Education; Child Development; or Child and Family Services is strongly preferred.
- The Professional Educator License with an endorsement in Early Childhood Education is strongly preferred. The Early Childhood Special Education endorsement and/or Bilingual endorsement are preferred as are Advanced Degrees.
- Knowledge of Creative Curriculum and Early Learning Scale is preferred.
- Contributions to professional organizations at the local, state, and national levels are preferred.
- Knowledge of DCFS licensing regulations and awareness of working with early childhood interns and practicum students is preferred.
Duties of the Position:
- Serve as a model of early childhood professionalism through interactions with the children, parents, and staff members, teaching practices, planning, and involvement in professional activities.
- Collaborate and participate in recruitment, screenings, and Child Find activities.
- Plan and implement a developmentally appropriate early childhood program for high need three to five year old children in partnership with the Lead Teacher in a Prekindergarten classroom.
- Plan and conduct personal/home visits with enrolled families.
- Collaborate and participate with the Parent Educator and Lead Teacher in the development of family involvement programs.
- Plan and conduct workshops and parent education opportunities in partnership with the Parent Educator and Lead Teacher to enrich parenting skill development and parent knowledge of child development.
- Collaborate with Lead Teacher to maintain a system of performance assessment reflective of the development of children through ongoing observations and the collection of portfolio information reflective of the development of each child.
- Serve as a liaison between the school district and the Southern Region Early Childhood Programs.
- Maintain ongoing communication with Program Coordinator, Program Director, school district staff and administration, and central office staff.
- Participate in collection of evaluation and research information.
- Participate in the annual performance review.
- Demonstrate participation in professional activities.
- Participate in appropriate training and/or university coursework as needs are identified and required.
- Perform other responsibilities as needed.
Appointment: This is a term, non-tenure-track appointment. Reappointment is contingent on performance, programmatic need, and availability of funding.
Application Deadline: November 16, 2018, or until filled.
How to apply
Complete applications must include a letter of application indicating the position(s) of interest, a curriculum vita, unofficial transcripts, and a list of three professional references with complete contact information. Send the complete application to:
Search Committee Chair
Southern Region Early Childhood Programs
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
875 South Normal Ave., Mail Code 4633
Carbondale, IL 62901