NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Posting Number: 0605154
Position Type: Faculty
Department: ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
This is a full-time, nine-month, tenure-track faculty position responsible for contributing significantly to Stephen F. Austin State University’s undergraduate and/or graduate programs through teaching, scholarship/creative accomplishment, and service. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This is a security-sensitive position. Reports to the chair.
For additional information regarding position requirements, see Specific Job Requirements/Duties below.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Performs an equivalent of eight teaching units of work during the regular academic year; reduction of teaching load through reassignment of duties is possible under certain circumstances.
2. Engages in research/scholarly/creative and service activities at levels that are appropriate to faculty rank and departmental tenure/merit criteria.
3. Provides services to the university and the profession.
4. Participates in promotion review of lower-ranked faculty members within the department.
5. When tenured, participates in tenure review of candidates for tenure.
6. May conduct supplemental instructional activities, such as independent studies, internships, advising, and thesis/dissertation supervision.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
1. May receive course load reassignment when assigned administrative duties in support of the department/college/university.
2. May receive course load reassignment when assigned to prepare course material during the first semester/year when included as part of initial contract.
3. May receive course load reassignment when approved to conduct research/scholarly/creative accomplishment and service which exceed normal expectations.
4. May supervise the work of student and/or graduate assistants.
5. May serve on departmental, college, and university committees.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Extensive knowledge in the field in which the individual will be teaching.
2. Ability to effectively teach undergraduate and/or graduate students.
3. Ability and commitment to conduct research and/or scholarly/creative accomplishments and service.
4. Ability to work within a collaborative faculty environment.
5. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
6. Ability to work effectively and patiently with students.
Terminal degree in the field in which the individual will be teaching is required. ABD candidates may be considered if Ph.D. is earned prior to start date.
Experience and Training:
The rank of Assistant Professor is held by an individual who demonstrates the capability to produce research/scholarly/creative accomplishments, teach effectively, and provide service to the academic and general communities.
Work Hours: Vary as needed
How to apply
A complete application will consist of the following:
1. A letter of application which including a listing of research interests and relevant courses which the applicant feels qualified to teach.
2. Statement of teaching philosophy.
3. Curriculum vitae.
4. Unofficial transcripts as the “Other Document”. If selected for an interview, candidates will be required to submit official transcripts.
5. A list of three professional references including email addresses, phone numbers, and mailing addresses.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. SFA is an equal opportunity employer. This is a security-sensitive position and will be subject to a criminal history check.
Questions regarding this position may be directed to:
Dr. Kenneth Farrish, Search Committee Chair
firstname.lastname@example.org or 936-468-2475
Division of Environmental Science
Box 13073 SFA Station
Stephen F. Austin State University
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962
Specific Job Requirements for this Posting: The Division of Environmental Science in the Arthur Temple College of Forestry and Agriculture at Stephen F. Austin State University (SFA) invites applicants for the position of Assistant Professor of Environmental Science, a nine-month tenure-track position. Teaching excellence is a fundamental goal of the environmental science program and the university, and the incumbent will be expected to develop a rigorous environmental science teaching program. Teaching responsibilities will depend on the incumbent’s expertise and interests. Possible undergraduate courses are: Wetland Delineation and Functional Assessment, an on-line version of Introduction to Environmental Science, and the senior capstone course Environmental Assessment and Management. Possible graduate courses are: Ecotoxicology, Human Health and the Environment, Environmental Policy and Regulation, Environmental Risk Assessment, and Graduate Seminar. In addition, the incumbent will develop a successful research program in his or her area of expertise and recruit and supervise graduate students. Minimum Qualification: Ph.D. degree in Environmental Science or closely related field.
Contact Name(s): Dr. Kenneth W. Farrish
Contact Phone/Extension: 936-468-2475
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Fax: 936-468-2489