NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
School of Teacher Ed and Leadership
Proposed Salary Range
Commensurate with Experience
Type of Employment:
Full time (29-40 Hrs)
Assistant Professor with a terminal degree in Reading or a highly related field, as well as, instructional experience in teaching reading. Applicants with a Specialist in Reading will be considered, but at the rank of Instructor. Position will be responsible for teaching undergraduate courses in reading and elementary education including foundations of reading, reading assessment and methods, and supervision of internships.
This full-time faculty position is a renewable nine-month contract at the rank of Assistant Professor. The School of Teacher Education and Leadership at Arkansas State University offers a wide array of undergraduate and graduate degrees and programs to serve today’s aspiring educators and educator-leaders. All programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation.
All programs that lead to earning a certificate by Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) are fully approved by the State Board of Education. ADE accredits all teacher certification programs at A-State.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaching undergraduate, or possibly some graduate course work, in Reading or Elementary Education
- Supervising field experiences and student teaching interns
- Teaching on-site, some distance learning, as well as web-assisted or Blackboard courses
- Providing service to the university, public schools, and community
- Provide leadership in using technology in literacy instruction
- Advising undergraduate majors
- Assisting with departmental initiatives including recruiting
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the department chair
- Knowledge of current initiatives and issues in public education particularly reading/literacy will be expected.
- Ability to integrate technology into classroom instruction is essential.
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Additional hours as requested and/or needed
Travel may be required
An understanding of Arkansas’ state reading initiatives, beginning reading skills (such as phonics and phonemic awareness), and reading disabilities such as dyslexia are preferred.
An earned Doctorate in Reading, Literacy, or a highly related field.
Candidates must have three (3) or more years of documented, successful teaching experience as a classroom teacher of reading/literacy or as a subject area reading/literacy coach in grades K-8. Educational Specialist will be considered; however, final rank and salary will be determined by degree and experience.
Experience with diverse populations is desired. Experience with current state standards and reading/literacy initiatives is also preferred.
How to apply
A cover letter addressing the position qualifications, a curriculum vita and a reference list with accurate contact information, three letters of reference, verification of effective teaching experience and unofficial transcripts of all degree work must be electronically attached. Applications must be completed online to be considered.