Business and Organizational Communication, School of Communication, Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences with a joint appointment in the Department of Management, College of Business Administration
The Assistant Professor, Business & Organizational Communication, will report to both the Director of the School of Communication and to the Chair of the Department of Management and will be responsible for teaching, research and service. Teaching will be at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Half of the teaching load will be comprised of Business Communication. The other half of the teaching load will include organizational communication courses such as Small Group Communication, Organizational Communication, Analyzing Organizational Communication, Training Methods in Organizational Communication, Theory of Group Processes, Communication in Organizations, and/or other communication courses as needed. A focused research agenda is required for tenure. Service to the school/department, colleges, university, discipline, and/or profession is expected.
· An earned PhD in communication from an accredited university by August 2019.
· Evidence of an active research program.
· Evidence of teaching experience.
· Interest in directing student research.
· Interest in teaching in multiple formats: Face-to-Face and online.
· A thorough understanding of business and organizational communication as it relates to application, presentation and underlying theory.
· The ability to teach important conceptual and applied elements of communication to business undergraduate students and research, theory, and application to communication undergraduate and graduate students
· A well-articulated research agenda in business and/or organizational communication.
· Demonstrated professional business and/or organizational communication experience.
· Demonstrated teaching experience in oral and written business communication.
· Proficiency in developing and teaching courses in a 100% online environment.
Located in Akron, Ohio, The University of Akron (UA) is one of the largest employers in the region and offers an array of employment opportunities. Here you’ll find a metropolitan setting that places you in the heart of a dynamic, regional economy, and in sync with the pulse of business, government and the community.
We’re committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff by including individuals from varied backgrounds and characteristics, including age, gender, religion, ethnicity, disability, national origin, sexual orientation and socioeconomic background. We’re also committed to offering competitive salary and benefits packages to qualified candidates.
Application deadline: Applications for this position, beginning Fall Semester, August 2019 will be received until it is filled.
How to apply
For complete position details, visit
Job ID # 11323
The University of Akron is an equal education and employment institution. It is the policy of this institution that there shall be no unlawful discrimination against any individual in employment or in its programs or activities at The University of Akron because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information, military status or status as a veteran. The University is also committed to the principles of affirmative action and acts in accordance with state and federal laws.