NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Assistant Professor in Elementary Education will be responsible to teach undergraduate and graduate online and on campus courses in elementary education language arts and early childhood education assessment. This person will also design and teach field experience courses. For this 11-month position, the course load will be 3 in the fall, 3 in the spring, and 1 in the summer. The person who is hired will be expected to establish a research agenda that is focused on elementary education language arts and field experiences with an eye toward enhancing Creighton’s profile in this field at the national level. Lastly, this Assistant Professor will be expected to provide service to the University and to the profession. The ideal candidate will have experience in teaching literacy and supervising students at a University sand will have a record of success teaching in both PK-8 Catholic school and public school settings. Candidates are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with our programs, department, university and mission at http://www.creighton.edu.
Terminal degree required, but candidates with a confirmed graduation date will be considered.
Evidence of excellent university-level teaching and expertise with elementary methods courses required.
Experience working with student teachers required.
Experience in both Catholic and public elementary education settings required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Ability to foster student learning, development, and decision making in support of their goals, success, wellness, and needs;
Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop rapport quickly and effectively with a diversity of populations;
Empathy and compassion for the experiences of others;
Ability to provide evidence of excellent university-level teaching and/or significant publications
Seeing: 75 – 100%
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing: 0-24% (pound: 10 lbs.)
Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: 75 – 100%
Exposure to Blood Borne pathogens: No
How to apply
To apply, submit:
1. Cover letter that includes a statement of how the applicant’s profile and interests fit with the position description, specified candidate qualifications, as well as the Catholic, Jesuit mission of Creighton.
2. Curriculum Vitae that lists at least the following information: date, institution and academic field of every academic degree received, record of all professional employment, description of relevant professional accomplishments such as presentations or service, and details of scholarly research agenda and record.
3. Original academic transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended (photocopies of transcripts are acceptable during the initial application process)
4. Photocopy of teaching certificate from one of the 50 states
5. Three letters of recommendation that speak to candidate’s teaching ability or promise as a scholar/researcher sent to: Timothy Cook, PhD, Creighton University, Department of Education, 2500 California Plz, Omaha NE 68178
6. Candidates chosen for on-campus interviews must also provide a written statement addressing their understanding of the interrelated missions of the University, College, and Department and the role she or he would hope to play in accomplishing those missions. Use the following links to access our mission statements.
Creighton University: http://www.creighton.edu/about/mission
Curriculum Vitae or Resume
All Graduate and Undergraduate Transcripts
Three Letters of Recommendation
Creighton University is committed to providing a safe and non-discriminatory educational and employment environment. The University admits qualified students, hires qualified employees and accepts patients for treatment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or other status protected by law. Its education and employment policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other programs and activities, are administered without unlawful discrimination.
This description describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Regular, reliable attendance is an essential function and all employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor. Employees may also be required to work in excess of normal working hours as workloads and seasonal activities necessitate. A complete description is available in the Human Resource office located at 3006 Webster Street Omaha, NE. Creighton University reserves the right to modify duties, responsibilities and activities at any time with or without notice.