Requisition Number: 0106071508
Location: New York City
Position Type: Full Time Faculty
Position Status: Full-Time
Department: PSD/Dean’s Office
Parsons School of Design, a college of The New School, seeks applicants for a renewable term assistant professor in the First Year curriculum.
The Assistant Professor should demonstrate expertise in the practice and pedagogy of art or of a field of design. The Assistant Professor must show evidence of innovation in their pedagogical approaches and be forward-thinking about what skills and literacies are required to adeptly respond to current global conditions as well as community-based diversity. The New School is committed to actively recruiting applicants from a diverse pool. We encourage candidates from groups underrepresented in US higher education to apply. Applicants are encouraged to address in their cover letters their experiences in non-traditional and/or diversity environments.
The Assistant Professor will teach undergraduate courses, and students from diverse backgrounds and a variety of disciplines across Parsons. The teaching load will be 5 courses per year, or the equivalent, with most of the teaching in the First Year curriculum. The Assistant Professor will hold regular office hours, and participate in extracurricular activities on a regular basis (e.g., critiques, review panels, independent study, advising) as well as contribute to the broader Parsons/New School community by way of committee assignments, project or exhibition coordination, working groups etc. The Assistant Professor is expected to be engaged with current scholarly or creative work.
Associate Director of First Year
Students entering Parsons share a common first-year experience that immerses students in an exploration of art and design concepts, skills, and critical practices, training them to become flexible thinkers, strong makers, and lifelong learners. The curriculum offers a survey of approaches to art and design that prepare students for the undergraduate programs at Parsons and enable them to envision paths beyond the confines of a single discipline. As one of the Associate Directors of First Year, the Assistant Professor’s service activity will be in a leadership role supporting students in the first year curriculum and serving as a liaison with advising, student success, and other university services. The Associate Director position is for a term of four years and has the possibility of renewal.
All hiring is subject to final Provost budgetary approval.
- A terminal degree or demonstrated equivalence.
- 1 – 3 years teaching experience at the university level.
- Expertise in contemporary approaches, concepts, techniques, and critical issues of art or design as they relate to their area of expertise.
- 1 – 3 years of active/current professional or creative practice, or critical scholarship, and an established record of professional accomplishments.
- Evidence of understanding the implications of design practice in relationship to broader social, cultural, economic, scientific and technological forces.
- Ability to develop and nurture individual student’s design abilities and a strong commitment to progressive design education.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
- An interest in working collaboratively within Parsons, the University, and with external partners towards the development of shared projects and initiatives.
Job Family: Parsons The New School for Design
How to apply
Applicants for faculty positions must apply on-line using the faculty application on The New School human resources website http://careers.newschool.edu. Applicants may be contacted at the discretion of the search committee for additional materials, such as digital portfolio/work samples.
The New School is committed to actively recruiting from a diverse pool of applicants. We encourage candidates from groups underrepresented in US higher education to apply.
The New School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including gender identity and expression), pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.
Position Start Date: July 2018