The Department of Management within the Harmon College of Business & Professional Studies at the University of Central Missouri is seeking to fill a tenure-track full-time Assistant Professor position in Business Communication. The Tenure-track professor will teach a mix of some of the following Business Communication (undergraduate at junior level), Management Communication (undergraduate at senior level), Management Communication (graduate), Strategic Communication (graduate), Corporate Culture (graduate). Teaching load for tenure track faculty is 9 credit hours per semester in fall and spring semesters. Teaching load for master’s qualified non-tenure track faculty is 12 credit hours per semester in fall and spring. Courses will be taught on both the Warrensburg and Lee’s Summit, MO, campuses.Department faculty are expected to teach approximately one (1) class in the evening per year, often at the Lee’s Summit, MO campus.UCM CORE ATTRIBUTES Our core behaviors all employees are expected to model. During the annual review process, all employees will be rated on how well they model these behaviors. Engaging: Immersive learning experience through purposeful involvement of employees and students. Cumulative: Aggregating multiple points of learning to broaden and deepen education. Passionate: Encouraging employees and students to find his or her sense of purpose. Confident: Embracing change and the new opportunities and challenges of tomorrow. Enterprising: Creating new ways for all students and employees to engage in their education and jobs. Caring: Acting on the needs and welfare of our people and the community.
Doctorate or ABD, in an area appropriate to teach business communication and at least one of the following: strategic organizational communication, management communication, or corporate culture within the Department of Management.
Doctorate in a discipline appropriate to teach business communication and at least one of the following, strategic organizational communication, management communication or corporate culture within the Department of Management.
• Doctorate (or ABD) from an institution with an AACSB-accredited business program.
• ABD considered if doctoral degree conferred by June 30, 2019
• Meet AACSB criteria for doctorally qualified faculty status by June 30, 2019
• Potential to research and publish in the field(s) of instruction.
• Strongly desire professional experience in business communication and/or management
• Able to show evidence of quality teaching using experiential methods
• 3-5 years relevant business experience
• Strong reasoning skills
• Experience in or willingness to embrace team and experiential learning through class work
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to help coach the DECA team with our other DECA departmental coaches
• Have experience or willingness to work with real businesses and integrate their problems into class scenarios or projects
• Excellent record of teaching experience at collegiate level
• Experience teaching public speaking at the college level
• Passionate about teaching communication skills
• Know how to appropriately write, speak, and perform within a diverse environment
• Evidence of mentoring ability
• Research or teaching expertise with contemporary communication technologies
• Experience coaching and teaching professional writing
Note: A background check is required for the selected candidate of this position and any job offer is contingent on the results of this check.
How to apply
Candidates must complete an on-line faculty profile found at https://jobs.ucmo.edu and apply to position 998256.
Candidates should submit (1) a cover letter that outlines the applicant’s interest, qualifications, and use and/or understanding of experiential learning; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) Statement of teaching philosophy; (4) include on faculty profile the names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of a minimum of three professional references.
If selected for an interview, three (3) formal letters of reference and official transcripts for all awarded degrees will be required.
Screening of applications begins February 12, 2018 and continues until the position is filled.
The desired starting date for this appointment is August 2018. This is a 9-month appointment.
For questions about the position, please contact Dr. Chris Opatrny-Yazell, Chair, Management Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about the on-line application process, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or (660)543-4255.
UCM requires that all faculty applicants complete the on-line faculty profile. All documents requested must be attached to the profile at the time of application. Only completed faculty profiles with attached documents will be accepted for this position.
The University of Central Missouri is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Veteran status and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.