Mercyhurst University in Erie, PA, invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Business & Competitive Intelligence in the Department of Intelligence Studies of the Ridge College of Intelligence Studies and Applied Sciences. The position is at the Erie campus and begins fall semester 2019. To be hired at the tenure-track assistant professor level, applicants should possess a Ph.D. or D.B.A. Candidates with an M.B.A., teaching experience, and extensive practitioner experience will also be considered. For applicants without a tenure-track option or without a Ph.D., hiring will be at the instructor level. Special attention will be given to those applicants with practitioner experience and the ability to manage applied analytic projects.
The Department of Intelligence Studies offers an inter-disciplinary approach to its Intelligence Studies degree. The successful candidate will oversee the Business & Competitive Intelligence (BCI) program, which has a curriculum rooted in the functional areas of business and data analytics. Experience in business research, analysis (e.g., strategy models) and presentation (e.g., dashboards, visualization tools) will be fundamental in complementing the Intelligence Studies major.
The BCI program graduates in-demand research analysts skilled in data extraction, data analysis, and data interpretation; graduates are also adept at presenting findings to decision makers in business and industry.
Further, BCI graduates are capable of identifying future growth opportunities for businesses and organizations, identifying competitive advantages, and predicting industry trends and market demands. The BCI program represents a strategic focus for the College and is intended to fuel cross-departmental and cross-university research initiatives in business research and analytics.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses in competitive intelligence, market research, and advanced classes in business strategy. These courses would, ideally, incorporate analytics that would contribute to cross-disciplinary curriculum. Successful candidates will teach applied courses in intelligence and business analysis and have the opportunity to teach and manage courses and projects in any of the following areas:
· Competitive and Market Intelligence
· Strategic Intelligence in Business
· Risk Assessment for Business
· War Gaming and Scenario Analysis for Business
· Market Research and Primary Intelligence
· Social Media Analysis and other relevant courses with a focus on data visualization and/or data analytics
In addition to instruction, BCI Program Director duties will include:
· Curriculum development and overseeing program assessment initiatives.
· Recruitment activities for prospective students.
· Advising and mentoring of BCI students and intelligence studies students with business concentrations.
· Establishing partnerships with organizations for student projects, internship development, and employment opportunities.
· Advising the Competitive Intelligence and the Strategic and Competitive Intelligence Professionals (SCIP) club; this includes coordinating speakers, training and fundraising for AMA and SCIP conferences.
· Participating and advising grant or contractual work with the Ridge College’s Institute.
· A commitment to teaching excellence, continued learning in their field, academic scholarship, and public scholarship.
The Ridge College of Intelligence Studies and Applied Sciences brings together complementary academic disciplines that stress critical thinking, data analysis, and collaborative decision-making. Serving as a center of excellence for distance and online learning, the Ridge College takes the lead in exploring, designing and developing new ways to deliver professional education. A Ridge College education helps make sense of the complex behaviors of people, organizations, and governments through the application of principles, theories, and technologies in innovative and exciting ways. More information on the Ridge College of Intelligence Studies and Applied Sciences at Mercyhurst University is available at https://www.mercyhurst.edu/academics/ridge-college-intelligence-studies-and-applied-sciences.
How to apply
The initial review will begin immediately and continue to November 28, 2018, or until the position is filled. Applicants must be currently eligible to work in the United States. Applicants must send a letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and teaching philosophy to:
Ridge College of Intelligence Studies and Applied Sciences
501 East 38th Street
Erie, PA 16546