Department: Languages Philosophy & Comm Studies
College/Unit: College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Posting Duration: Open Until Filled
The Department of Languages, Philosophy, & Communication Studies at Utah State University invites applications for a new assistant professor in Chinese. This is a teaching emphasis position, but also requires an active research agenda. This is a nine-month, academic-year, tenure track position to begin August, 2018. Applications should be submitted by December 1, 2017 to receive full consideration.
- Teach a variety of lower and upper division courses in Chinese language and culture.
- Help build the Chinese language program and other related programs in the department, such as the Asian Studies or Global Communication majors.
- Conduct and publish scholarly research in topics related to the Chinese language and/or culture.
- Advise and mentor undergraduate students.
- Serve in various departmental committees as needed.
Visit our departmental web page at http://lpcs.usu.edu/ to learn more about Languages,
Philosophy and Communication Studies.
Utah State University is a Carnegie Research University located in a mountain valley 80 miles
- Ph.D. in Chinese language/culture or related field completed by August 13, 2018;
- Ability and willingness to teach all levels of Chinese language courses;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and publish scholarly research;
- Near-native or native proficiency in Chinese;
- High level of English proficiency;
- Ability and desire to mentor students;
- Ability to complement, extend, and enrich the current strengths of the department;
- Satisfactory background check per university policy.
Opportunity Type: Full-Time w/benefits package
Percent of Time or Hours per Week: 100%
Advertised Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits
Required Documents (The names and contact information of 3 references will be collected during the application process):
Cover Letter, Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness, Research Statement, Resume/CV, Teaching Philosophy, Writing Samples
Other Required document types/Special Instructions to Applicants:
Both the philosophy of teaching and the research statement should be one to two pages and should be written in both Chinese and English.
Your references will be sent an email from USU, asking them to upload a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
Often Functional Requirements (25-75% time):
Light lifting under 15 pounds,Use of fingers (e.g. typing),Both hands required or compensated by the use of acceptable prostheses
Continuous Functional Requirements (75%+ time):
Routine visual requirements (e.g. reading with attention to details; seeing activities near and far),Routine hearing ability (e.g. whispers at close range; voices at 15 feet; converse by telephone)
Continuous Environmental Factors (75%+ time):
ADA Cognitive Requirements:
Apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form.
ADA Math Requirements:
Perform ordinary arithmetic, algebraic, and geometric procedures in standard, practical applications.
ADA Communication Requirements – Speech:
Expression of a level comparable to 5, plus highest order verbal skills such as ability to lecture to large groups, ability to speak on complex issues without prepared notes.
ADA Comm Requirements – Comprehension:
Comprehensive and expression of a level comparable to 5, plus highest order of composition skills such as ability to do this as primary function of the job, to draft and edit publication-quality papers, to prepare highly complex documents such as wills and contracts. May involve a large volume of such composition.
ADA Travel Requirements:
Minimal travel required – ability to travel infrequently (i.e., annually) for activities such as developmental sessions at a centralized training center.
How to apply
Utah State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.