College of Arts & Sciences
Athens State University seeks an energetic and experienced faculty member to teach scenic and lighting design at the new state-of-the-art Studio Theatre at the Alabama Center for the Arts in Decatur, Alabama. This position will assist in developing a technical theatre curriculum, teach courses in design and technology, and share responsibility for scenic design, technical direction, and construction of departmental productions.
- Teach scenic design, lighting design, stagecraft, and other courses based on expertise and interests;
- Teach two classes per semester and design one main stage production per semester;
- Assume the role of technical director to oversee building and painting of all scenery, lighting design for departmental productions, and undergraduate student designers;
- Contribute to the advancement and growth of the Drama & Theatre Arts Program, assist in student recruitment, participate in the selection of the production season, and advise/mentor students.
- Assume other professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by administrative personnel.
- Master of Fine Arts in Scenic Design, Lighting Design, or equivalent professional training and experience is required, as is facility with CAD .
- Candidates must be committed to excellence in teaching undergraduate design and technology.
- Candidates must understand the unique demands of a design position in a small liberal arts environment and who want to contribute to the life of a vibrant program with strong artistic production values.
University InformationLocated in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers junior and senior-level coursework to college graduates and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for four online programs including computer science, accounting, education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business. The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention.
How to apply
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Athens State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens, AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.
Background Check Statement
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that criminal background check.