Department Teacher Education
Vacancy Number F19-028
Work Location McDonough (Henry County RAC)
The Tift College of Education at Mercer University invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Early Childhood/Middle Grades Science Education, a nine-month, tenure-track position to begin August 2018. The home site for this position will be Mercer University’s Henry County Regional Academic Center. Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: teach undergraduate and graduate classes; advise and encourage students to develop the professional knowledge, skills, and dispositions of a Transforming Educator; engage in scholarly research; guide student research; participate in collaborative partnerships with public schools; serve as university supervisor in field experiences; contribute to effective collaboration with faculty, students, and staff; and participate on committees as assigned.
The mission of the Tift College of Education at Mercer University is to prepare candidates to blend theory with practice, to think critically, and to interact effectively in a technologically complex, global society. To accomplish this mission, the Tift College of Education offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs and educational services designed to meet the needs of diverse students and of the professional education community.
- An earned doctorate in Education with an emphasis on Early Childhood/Middle School Science from an accredited university/college completed by July 2018 and at least three years of successful early childhood/middle school teaching experience are required. Applicants must have evidence of successful teaching and have effective communication, interpersonal, and technology skills. The ability to conduct research and publish results of scholarly activities is also required.
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following: expertise in STEM education and knowledge of Next Generation Science Standards, an understanding of technology for synchronous and asynchronous online instruction; a strong record of scholarly productivity; evidence of professional service to the field; and experiences with diverse school populations.
- The successful applicant, in order to demonstrate the ability to work independently and in organized groups, should have excellent oral and written communication, as well as collaborative and interpersonal skills; possess basic computer skills; and be familiar with distance learning software and technology to provide synchronous and asynchronous instruction.
- For further information about this position, please contact Dr. Catherine M. Gardner at firstname.lastname@example.org or (678) 547-6327.
- Interested applicants will need to complete the online application and attach a current CV, a letter of application, a teaching philosophy statement, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Unofficial transcripts may be requested from finalists as part of the recruitment process for this faculty position; finalists will need to redact any personal or private information including, but not limited to, social security number, birthdate, race, or gender, before submitting the unofficial transcripts. The successful candidate must submit official transcripts prior to employment.
- Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Selection of the final candidate is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Is a criminal background check needed for this position? Yes
Is a credit check needed for this position? No
Does this position require travel for University business in a rental car or University owned vehicle? No
Job Category Faculty
Job Type Full-Time
Pay Rate Commensurate with experience
Pay Basis Monthly
Internal posting only? No
Open Until Filled Yes
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Mercer University’s mission is to teach, to learn, to create, to discover, to inspire, to empower and to serve. Having read this, how do you see yourself fitting in and contributing to the mission?
(Open Ended Question)
How to apply
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy