The Department of the Education Core at Winthrop University is seeking an innovative and involved tenure-track assistant professor to teach in an experiential educator preparation program. The position includes teaching in both undergraduate and graduate teacher certification programs as well as graduate teaching in programs that further credentials for practicing teachers. The successful candidate must be able to teach coursework related to preparing teacher candidates to design and implement appropriate assessments as well as advanced assessment courses at the master’s level.
Position Availability: August 16, 2019
The Richard W. Riley College of Education (COE) has a strong reputation in the preparation and advancement of highly qualified professionals for South Carolina and the country. Historically renowned in teacher preparation, Winthrop University is NCATE-accredited and has received national recognition for its clinically-based teacher preparation and partnerships with local schools. The university enjoys close proximity to Charlotte, NC, high quality local schools, and an affordable cost of living. The college is committed to building a diverse educational environment. Individuals from under-represented groups or with experience working with under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
- Teach a variety of graduate and undergraduate courses related to educational assessment, developmental sciences, and other content related to the applicant’s preparation and experience
- Collaborate with public school/university faculty to plan and teach an experience-based curriculum
- Maintain an ongoing record of scholarly activity
- Participate in service to the program, department, college, and university
- Advise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students
- Use technology to enhance student learning, increase access, maintain program data, and facilitate recruitment and retention efforts
- Provide service to the profession in community and professional organizations
- Engage with Core and program faculty to ensure fidelity of the educator preparation program
- Engage in teaching and other program-related activities in the evenings, summers, online, and occasionally
- Doctorate in an education field such as educational psychology; research and evaluation; curriculum and instruction; or school psychology (ABD nearing dissertation completion may be considered at instructor level in a non-tenure track position)
- Demonstrated expertise in P-12 school assessment
- Ability to teach in an interdisciplinary educational core
- Record of successful work in collaboration with P-12 schools
- Record of emerging or demonstrated scholarship commensurate with rank
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at the department, college, university, and community levels
- Successful teaching in P-12 schools
- Experience in higher education
- A diversity of expertise in assessment to include experiences with design, administration, analysis, and/or interpretation of results at the classroom, district, state, and/or national levels
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative methods of educational research
- Demonstrated ability in the use of technology and digital tools for instructional purposes
- Experience working with diverse populations
About Winthrop University
Founded in 1886 and located in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Winthrop University offers its 6,000-plus undergraduate and graduate students an educational experience that blends liberal arts, professional programs, global awareness, and civic engagement. In its degree-granting Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, and Visual and Performing Arts, Winthrop embraces only those programs and activities that can be delivered at an exemplary level. Winthrop is well known for its inclusive and supportive campus environment, with University College supporting programs in both academic and student affairs. Winthrop University is achieving national stature as a competitive and distinctive co-educational, public, residential, comprehensive, values-oriented institution. The values of service, excellence, diversity, community, and leadership provide the foundation for the University’s continuing development and shape Winthrop’s continuing success. Numerous national accolades reflect the sustained high quality and value of the Winthrop Experience, including the most recent U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Winthrop as one of the top-10 public comprehensive universities in the South. Winthrop is an active member of the Rock Hill community and is recognized as a key component of the region’s economic resurgence. Approximately 20 minutes from Charlotte, North Carolina, Winthrop has direct access to and is engaged in a broad and expansive regional arts and business community. Winthrop’s beautiful campus encompasses a rich architectural blend of neo-Georgian buildings and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The attractive recreational and research complex area that surrounds Winthrop Lake is home to Winthrop’s 18 Division I men’s and women’s sports.
Winthrop University is committed to providing a safe campus community. Winthrop conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Employment Conditions: A nine-month, full-time, tenure-track position. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Option of summer employment with sufficient enrollments.
Application review will begin on November 1, 2018. Applications received after the start of review may be considered if an acceptable candidate is not identified.
How to apply
- A cover letter including the candidate’s interest in the position, qualifications, teaching philosophy, and research interests;
- Current curriculum vitae;
- Graduate transcripts for all advanced degrees (unofficial acceptable for application phase); and
- Names and contact information for five professional references.
Additional materials may be requested during the review process.
Specific questions related to this search should be directed to email@example.com