|Position Availability:||July 1, 2017|
|Position Type:||Full Time Faculty|
|Department:||PSD/School of Fashion/Faculty|
New York City
Parsons School of Design, a division of The New School, seeks candidates for Assistant Professor of Fashion Management, a renewable term faculty position in the School of Fashion at Parsons.
Candidates should demonstrate expertise in management education and be well versed in the fashion industry and its current challenges, business innovations and opportunities. Candidates should have the foundation to creatively teach topics such as the future of retail, Omni channel strategies, entrepreneurship, the future of manufacturing and supply chains. The New School is committed to actively recruiting applicants from a diverse pool. We encourage candidates from groups underrepresented in US higher education to apply.
The Assistant Professor will be expected to teach undergraduate as well as graduate courses, and students from a variety of disciplines across Parsons. The standard teaching load is 5 courses or equivalent per academic year. The faculty member will hold regular office hours, and participate in extracurricular activities on a regular basis (e.g., critiques, review panels, thesis supervision, independent study, advising, Parsons/New School committees, etc.). University citizenship includes rotating leadership roles that may include chairing committees and task forces and degree program directorship. The Assistant Professor, will demonstrate leadership capacity in their subject and field and is expected to engage with current professional, scholarly and creative practices as appropriate to their appointed rank. Candidates will have the capacity to direct a degree program in the field, and will be an active member of school and university committees. Program directors (who receive course release) work within a leadership team to implement support for curricula, policies, and facility designs that are responsive to and respectful of diverse users.
The final decision to hire is subject to budget approval by the Office of the Provost.
- A terminal degree in fashion, business, strategic management or related field, or equivalent experience.
- At least 1-3 years teaching experience at university level.
- Active business-end experience in the global fashion industry, with a minimum of 3-5 years professional experience.
- Strong interest in working collaboratively across Parsons and the University, and with external partners towards the development of shared projects and initiatives.
- Ability to develop and nurture individual student’s design abilities and a strong commitment to progressive design education.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
Parsons The New School for Design
How to apply
Applicants for faculty positions must apply on-line using the streamlined faculty application on The New School human resources website http://careers.newschool.edu. Applicants may be contacted at the discretion of the search committee for additional materials, such as digital work samples.
The New School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including gender identity and expression), pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.