Requisition Number: 0106071489
Location: New York City
Position Type: Full Time Faculty
Position Status: Full-Time
Department: PSD/School of Fashion/Faculty
Parsons School of Design, a college of The New School, seeks candidates for Assistant Professor of Fashion, renewable term faculty position in the School of Fashion at Parsons.
We are looking for candidates with expertise in fashion design to support a range of learning outcomes and whose creative practice centers on contemporary approaches to the role of technology and craft in design. Candidates should therefore demonstrate general expertise in fashion design but with a specialist focus in areas such as fashion systems design, materials and textiles innovation, new design and production methods and human-centered design. The New School is committed to actively recruiting applicants from a diverse pool. We encourage candidates from groups underrepresented in US higher education to apply.
The faculty member will be expected to teach undergraduate as well as graduate courses, and students from a variety of disciplines across Parsons. The standard teaching load is 5 courses or equivalent per academic year. The faculty member will hold regular office hours, and participate in extracurricular activities on a regular basis (e.g., critiques, review panels, thesis supervision, independent study, advising, Parsons/New School committees, etc.). University citizenship includes rotating leadership roles that may include chairing committees and task forces and degree program directorship. The faculty member will have the capacity to direct a baccalaureate or master’s level degree program in the field, and will be an active member of school and university committees. The faculty member must actively contribute in maintaining an educationally diverse and creative community in all its activities and programs.
The final decision to hire is subject to budget approval by the Office of the Provost.
- A terminal degree or equivalent experience in fashion design in combination with experience in fashion product or materiality; or a terminal degree or equivalent experience in product/accessories design, wearable technologies or related field, in combination with experience in fashion.
- At least 1-3 years teaching experience at university level.
- Ability to develop and nurture individual student’s design abilities and a strong commitment to progressive design education.
- Thorough knowledge of the global fashion industry, with a minimum of 3-5 years professional experience.
- Working knowledge of apparel software.
- Strong interest in working collaboratively across Parsons and the University, and with external partners towards the development of shared projects and initiatives.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
Job Family: Parsons The New School for Design
How to apply
Applicants for faculty positions must apply on-line using the streamlined faculty application on The New School human resources website http://careers.newschool.edu. Applicants may be contacted at the discretion of the search committee for additional materials, such as digital work samples.
The New School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including gender identity and expression), pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.
Position Start Date: July 2018