The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Coppin State University invites applications for a full-time tenure track position at the level of Assistant Professor in the field of Data Science, broadly defined. The department plans to initiate an undergraduate program in the field of Data Science, and the candidate is expected to contribute to and lead the data science program. The undergraduate Data Science Program will be housed in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, and thus the successful candidate is expected to teach courses from each of the departmental disciplines as the courses relate to the field of Data Science.
- Teach undergraduate classes both in the areas of specialization and in core curriculum both evening and day courses. The normal teaching load is 12 units per semester. The teaching load may be reduced for faculty actively engages in supervising research and developing a research program.
- Engage in student advisement and demonstrate an ongoing commitment to effective teaching.
- Work with students on research activities, community based projects, or other extracurricular activities.
- For the purpose of reappointment, tenure, and promotion, emphasis will be placed on teaching effectiveness, scholarly and creative achievements, and service to the University and community including activities in support of student retention.
- Terminal degree in Data Science is required.
- Two years of teaching experience in a four year university setting or a recent graduate preferred.
- Strong background and teaching experience in current theory and application of database systems and data mining.
- Solid background in statistics and the ability to teach computational statistics.
- Strong programming skills particularly in Python and R languages.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Evidence of involvement in industry-related Data Science projects and preparing students for the needs of industry in the field of Data Science.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and commitment to collegiality and teamwork.
- Evidence of scholarly activities and research in the field of Data Science.
- Ability to integrate undergraduate students in research agenda.
- Demonstrated ability in developing and leading undergraduate research.