The Department of Theatre Arts and Dance in the College of Performing and Visual Arts at Southern Utah University invites applications with expertise in Musical Theatre Vocal Instruction for a tenure track position in Theatre at the rank of Assistant Professor. The successful candidate will teach private vocal study and mentor students within the BFA and BA/BS degree programs. The candidate may also offer courses per their qualifications and department need in such areas as Musical Theatre, Acting, Voice and Diction, Directing and related areas. In addition to coursework, this position is expected to serve as Musical Director or Director for at least one departmental production annually and may be called upon to serve as Musical Director or Director for additional department productions and events. Other duties include student career and academic advising, student recruitment, service to departmental, college, and university committees and other duties as assigned. Excellence in teaching, creative/scholarly activity, and service is expected. Candidates must demonstrate experience with or a commitment to diversity and inclusion. A Terminal degree (MFA, PhD, DMA, DA) is required. Other qualifications include prior college teaching experience, a record of artistic/scholarly achievement, and professional experience in teaching private voice study, music directing/directing. Position effective August 2018.
General Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching courses in Private Voice Study
- Music Direct or Direct at least one department production per year
- Artistic/scholarly achievement required
- Student advisement and career planning
- Participation in the collaborative process
- University/College/Department service
- Other duties as assigned
- Terminal degree in Theatre or closely related field
- Professional or university experience in musical direction or directing
- Prior record of Artistic/Scholarly Achievement
- Experience in teaching private voice study and/or vocal coaching
- Ability to teach/coach other aspects of Musical Theatre including Acting, Voice and Diction, and related areas.
- Experience as director for musicals, cabarets, or other musical events
- Administrative and leadership skills
- A focus on collaboration
- Previous experience teaching at the university level
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Hours worked/day: Based on teaching load and production assignments
Months/year: 9 months
Tenure/Non-Tenure Track: Tenure-Track
Salary or Salary Range: Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits
Posting Number: F1600149
First Consideration Date: 05/30/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
How to apply
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.