Waseda Institute for Advanced Study (WIAS) was established in September 2006 to enable promising and talented researchers to focus on their research activities under fixed-term contracts in a rich research environment. Around 40 researchers have been working on advanced research in a wide range of themes and with no limitation as to field of study. The Institute is currently recruiting researchers for AY2019 as detailed below.
Fields corresponding to Humanities
Assistant Professor (without tenure) or Associate Professor (without tenure)
Period of Appointment
Three years from the date of appointment.
In principle, the start date is April 1, 2019.
- Persons with a doctorate. It is desirable for the doctorate to have been obtained within 10 years of April 1, 2019
- Persons who expect to obtain a doctorate by April 1, 2019
- Persons with scholarly attainment equivalent to persons who have obtained a doctorate as of April 1, 2019, and who have research experience at a research institution
The Institute seeks to broadly recruit researchers who will undertake highly creative research projects that have the potential to identify issues for the future, and carve out new fields of study in the areas of Humanities. For further information, please visit our website.
(1) Waseda University will be the researcher’s primary place of employment
(2) Place of Work: Waseda University, Tokyo Japan
(3) Other working conditions will be in accordance with regulations of Waseda University
A salary will be paid in accordance with regulations concerning payment of salary of Waseda University.
How to apply
Complete Online Registration Form on the website (see below), and submit the application documents specified below through the online form. When the registration is successfully completed, a confirmation message will be sent to the e-mail address provided on the online form. Please make sure to use the application form specified below and note that the application documents cannot be accepted by e-mail, post or any procedure other than submitting through the Online Registration Form.
Curriculum Vitae, Research Plan (Please use the specified form.)
(1) First selection stage (document screening)
*Applicants will be notified of selection results by e-mail in early August 2018.
(2) Second selection stage (document screening)
*Applicants who pass the first stage should submit their principal research achievements (three or fewer, with three copies of each) and Letters of recommendation by the middle of August.
(3)Third selection stage (interview)
In early October 2018 (tentative)
* Applicants who pass the second stage will be notified of further information by one week before the interview date.
* Travel expenses to the interview (at Waseda University) are to be borne by the applicant.
(4) Notification of Results
December 2018 (tentative)
Deadline for Application
28 June 2018 (Thursday), 5 P.M. (Japan time)
* Submission of application documents through the Online Registration Form must be completed by this date & time.
For further details, online registration and specified forms, please visit our website
Please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before submitting your application
Please contact us through Online Inquiry form