Job no: 493640
Position Type: Faculty / Instructor Tenure Track
Division/Equivalent: Academic Affairs
School/Unit: Earth Science
The College at Brockport State University of New York has a tenure track openings for an geologist in the Department of the Earth Sciences beginning in the fall 2018 semester. The department has undergraduate majors in geology, water resources, meteorology and earth science, and faculty may supervise graduate students through the environmental science program. The curriculum has a strong emphasis on student-centered learning, and has a long established culture of undergraduate research in which every student is engaged, and to which, the incumbents would be expected to contribute. Modern facilities are available to support these efforts along with faculty research.
The department seeks a geologist or geological engineer with a background in engineering or structural geology with an interest in applications to sustainable energy or resource development or management. The incumbent would be responsible for teaching physical geology, structural geology and a new course in environmental and engineering geology, along with support for general education offerings.
- Earned doctorate in geology or geological engineering or a closely related discipline from a U.S Dept. of Education or internationally recognized institution.
- Candidates with ABD status will be considered, but must earn their doctoral degree within 6 months of hire.
- A commitment to undergraduate teaching and advising
- Willingness to mentor undergraduate research
- PhD in the indicated fields from a U.S Dept. of Education or internationally recognized institution.
- Evidence of effective teaching
- Ability to supervise undergraduate research
- Record of publication commensurate with the individual’s level of experience
- Evidence of the potential for successful pursuit of external funding
How to apply
To apply, visit http://careers.pageuppeople.com/788/cw/en-us/job/493640/assistant-professor-structuralengineering-geology to complete an application including your cover letter that addresses required and preferred qualifications, CV, a scholarly writing sample, statement of teaching philosophy, contact information for three professional references, and a copy of your transcript showing highest degree earned required. Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applications will be accepted until 10/31/17 with preference given to application material submitted by 10/17/17. Employment at The College at Brockport is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and final budgetary approval.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups and anyone who would enrich the diversity of the College.