Saint Xavier University is seeking to add a full time faculty member to teach in and lead the Early Childhood Education programs and to be the Licensure Officer for the Education Department. The position will be half-time non-tenure track faculty in Early Childhood and half-time Licensure Officer.
The undergraduate Early Childhood Education program & the Early Childhood Alternative Licensure programs prepare candidates to work with children from birth through Grade 2. These programs consist of professional education courses that are designed to lead candidates through coursework arranged around the developmental stages of young children. Courses focus on the centrality of inquiry and play in children’s learning. Completion of the undergraduate program leads to a Bachelor of Science degree and prepares candidates to obtain an Illinois Professional Educator License with endorsements in Early Childhood Education, ESL or Bilingual Education, and an Early Childhood Special Education Letter of Approval. The graduate Alternative Licensure program leads to an Illinois Professional Educator License with an endorsement in Early Childhood Education as well as a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT).
The Licensure Officer provides support to the Administrative and Academic Staff with daily duties surrounding the licensure of Saint Xavier University students earning an Illinois educator, speech-pathology, and/or school counseling licenses through nationally accredited and/or state approved programs. Provides support to the Director For School Partnerships and Alternative Licensure Program Coordinators with duties related to the recruitment and retention of alternative licensure candidates. It is imperative he/she ensures high quality workflow that consistently affirms the department’s national accreditations to prepare teachers and other school specialists.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as licensure officer for the Education Department for IL Professional Educator Licenses, as well as accreditation bodies such as CAEP/NCATE, and HLC;
- Evaluate transcripts to determine course equivalencies for ISBE mandated prerequisite and program and endorsement requirements;
- Monitor State policies and procedures for licensure;
- Audit completers for Illinois licensure and enter entitlements in the ISBE’s electronic certification system, e.g. DOE, School Counseling, Speech/Path, etc.;
- Work with the Director of Records to verify final graduation clearance for all candidates leading to ISBE licensure;
- Input licensure data in SXU’s data management system;
- Provides information to candidates, faculty, staff and other university offices regarding licensure and ISBE related matters;
- Serve as an Education Department representative at local, state, regional, and/or national meetings as appropriate to licensure, in consultation with the Education Department Chair (may require travel including overnight);
- Supervise graduate assistants and student workers as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned and/or needed;
Earned doctorate in the field of education
18 credit hours of graduate study in the field it is expected that the faculty member will teach
Tested experience which the Education Department defines as one of more of the following:
- Teaching certification/licensure/endorsement in the field: it is expected that the faculty member will teach
- Minimum of three years of teaching experience in the field: it is expected that the faculty member will teach
- Minimum of three years of experience in teacher training in the field: it is expected that the faculty member will teach
- Direct teaching experience with culturally, linguistically, socio-economically, and ability diverse children preferred.
- A focus on birth to grade two with knowledge of the distinct child development stages: birth to age 3, PreK, and grades K-2
- Knowledge of current policies and practices associated with teaching young children
- Engagement in service to the program, department, college, university, and profession
- Collaboration with colleagues in the department, university, and partner schools
- Supervising students in field-based experiences
- Advising and recruiting undergraduate and graduate students
- Experience with the Ellucian Colleague system preferred
- Background in teacher licensure and experience in working in higher education preferred.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work independently but with a strong interest in working in a collaborative environment. Strong interpersonal computational, communication and computer skills.
We inspire success by working together to provide meaningful, personalized service in a spirit of excellence. SXU seeks candidates that deliver value-added services in a responsive, collaborative, effective, and respectful manner.