Saint Xavier University is seeking to add a full time faculty member to teach in and lead the Early Childhood Education programs. The undergraduate Early Childhood Education program & the Early Childhood Alternative Licensure programs prepare candidates to work with children from birth through Grade 2. These programs consist of professional education courses that are designed to lead candidates through coursework arranged around the developmental stages of young children. Courses focus on the centrality of inquiry and play in children’s learning.
Completion of the undergraduate program leads to a Bachelor of Science degree and prepares candidates to obtain an Illinois Professional Educator License with endorsements in Early Childhood Education, ESL or Bilingual Education, and an Early Childhood Special Education Letter of Approval. The graduate Alternative Licensure program leads to an Illinois Professional Educator License with an endorsement in Early Childhood Education as well as a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Direct teaching experience with culturally, linguistically, socio-economically, and ability diverse children preferred.
- A focus on birth to grade two with knowledge of the distinct child development stages: birth to age 3, PreK, and grades K-2.
- Knowledge of current policies and practices associated with teaching young children.
- Engagement in service to the program, department, college, university , and profession.
- Collaboration with colleagues in the department, university, and partner schools.
- Supervising students in field-based experiences.
- Advising and recruiting undergraduate and graduate students.
- Earned doctorate in the field of education
- 18 credit hours of graduate study in the field: it is expected that the faculty member will teach
- Tested experience which the Education Department defines as one of more of the following:
- Teaching certification/licensure /endorsement in the field: it is expected that the
Faculty member will teach
- Minimum of three years of teaching experience in the field: it is expected that the faculty member will teach
- Minimum of three years of experience in teacher training in the field: it is expected that the faculty member will teach
We inspire success by working together to provide meaningful, personalized service in a spirit of excellence. SXU seeks candidates that deliver value-added services in a responsive, collaborative, effective, and respectful manner.