Requisition Number: 09113
The Provost Office at West Virginia University is seeking applications for Assistant Vice President for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. This position will report directly to the Provost. This position is responsible for the cross-campus IDEA Hub Ecosystem which promotes and fosters innovation, commercialization and entrepreneurship among the students, staff and faculty of West Virginia University. The AVP’s specific duties will focus on integrated planning, accreditation, and academic affairs management.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Coordinate and participate in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Institute, which is responsible for institution-wide curricular innovation focused on entrepreneurship and the fostering an entrepreneurial mindset for WVU students across all campuses
- Promote efficiency and effectiveness in institutional practices and harmonize practices among units involved in Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Oversee the LaunchLabs in Beckley and Morgantown as well as future LaunchLab locations
- Oversee of the WVU Women’s Business Center
- Organize the IDEA Hub, Chairs the Entrepreneurship Dean’s Advisory Council and meets regularly with the deans of each participating college
- Serve as the liaison between the Provost and the colleges for entrepreneurship and innovation activities
- Leverage unit activities across the university to capitalize on collaboration, marketing and funding opportunities
- Provide leadership and coordination for institutional accreditation initiatives for the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Institute and Entrepreneurship Programs with United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Serve as a knowledge base for developments in US entrepreneurship and innovation curricula in higher education as well as programs integrating academics and student life and communicate the developments to University leadership and constituencies to maintain institutional awareness
- Represent the Provost, Vice Provost and Transformation Officer when they are not available for entrepreneurship and innovation meetings and the integration of academic and student life
- PI on EDA LaunchLab Network grant and the SBA Women’s Business Center grant
- Organizes and oversees IDEA Faculty Fellows
- Seek grant and philanthropic funding to support all efforts
- Participate in university, state and national organizations promoting entrepreneurship and innovation at WVU
- Works closely with Tech Transfer, Health Sciences and Evansdale Innovation Center to encourage commercialization of student and faculty research
- Work closely with I-Corps for research commercialization
- Work closely with MakerSpace committee and organization across campus
- Teach courses and workshops in Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- MBA and JD required or equivalent inexperience in business and intellectual property
- Earned Doctorate preferred
- Five (5) years of experience in the following;
- As a Department Chair or higher.
- Faculty member in higher education.
- Grant funded programs and reporting.
- Working with or in business startups.
- Demonstrated leadership, management, communication and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage, coordinate and supervise multiple projects concurrently
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple internal and external constituencies and people of diverse backgrounds.
How to apply
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.