This is a full-time, academic year, tenure-track, Assistant Professor / Associate Professor appointment in the Safety and Health Management (SHM) Program. Located at the main campus in Ellensburg, Washington, this program awards a Bachelor of Science degree in Safety and Health Management. We seek an individual demonstrating dedication to excellence in teaching and a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusiveness. The goal of the program is to prepare students for careers in occupational safety and health management in the industrial, private business, construction, and public employment sectors of the economy.
The Engineering Technologies, Safety, and Construction (ETSC) Department offers Bachelor of Science degree programs in construction management, industrial and mechanical/electrical engineering technology areas, safety and health management, and technology education. Programs are based on a foundation of technical courses, math and science topics, verbal and written communications, and CWU’s general education coursework requirement. Curriculum content depends heavily on a hands-on, as opposed to a highly abstract, approach to the subject matter. All ETSC programs work with industrial advisory councils to ensure currency and relevance necessary to pursue or obtain an accredited status. The ETSC Department also offers an M. S. degree in Engineering Technology.
The ETSC Department is administratively located in the College of Education and Professional Studies (CEPS) and offers a complete array of programs and courses at the Ellensburg campus, and a partial selection of programs and courses at the CWU Des Moines Center located in the Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area of Washington State. Additional program information about all of the departmental programs is available on the ETSC Department Website: www.cwu.edu/engineering/ .
- Teach SHM courses at the undergraduate level. The SHM Program courses cover: systems safety and design, risk management, insurance, emergency planning, fleet safety, building and facility safety, ergonomics, industrial hygiene, construction safety, manufacturing safety, agriculture safety, environmental management, and hazardous materials management.
- Maintain an active program of university-supported scholarship.
- Participate in university and community service.
- Assist in the recruitment of new SHM majors, and actively participate in the SHM major application screening process.
- Provide academic advising for existing and prospective SHM students.
- Assist the SHM program director to continually improve the SHM Program curriculum.
- Support potential proposal development for an online Master of Science Program in SHM.
- Participate in program review and accreditation activities.
- Support the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) Student Section.
- Serve as a resource for students seeking scholarships.
- Play an active role in facilitating job opportunities for students by establishing and maintaining industry contacts.
- Play an active role in the program’s industry advisory council.
- Obtain and maintain professional safety-related certifications.
- Perform other related duties as assigned to support the SHM program.
- Master’s degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Health, Environmental Management, or strongly related areas
- Minimum five years of applied, industry experience in risk management, occupational safety and health, or industrial hygiene
- Experience and demonstrated commitment to diversity
- Strong writing skills
- Strong background in Risk Management / System Safety
- Strong interpersonal communication and public speaking skills
- Excellent organizational and management skills
- An earned doctoral degree related to content area(s) of courses to be taught. However, ABD candidates with a clear dissertation defense schedule will be considered.
- Occupational safety and health-related certifications such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygiene (CIH), or similar certifications issued by nationally accredited credentialing bodies
- 10+ years applied/industrial experience in general industry/manufacturing
- Three or more years of experience in post-secondary education teaching
- Operational knowledge of applicable safety and health-related instruments and equipment
- Experience in program review and accreditation such as ABET
- Experience working in partnership with an industry advisory council and key external stakeholders in multiple industry sectors
- Entrepreneurial drive to assist with development of the Central Safety Center
- Holds multiple “train-the-trainer” safety certifications
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
Appointment: Full-Time, Tenure-Track, 9 Month Appointment
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance.
How to apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting, (c) detail how teaching, service and/or scholarship has supported students from racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds that are underrepresented in their academic fields (applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience should note how their work will further CWU’s commitment to diversity) ;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Statement of teaching philosophy;
- Summary of related field and work experience (Attachment Type: Other);
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of three or more current references; and
- Copy of transcripts for highest degree held;
NOTE: Although copies of transcripts are acceptable for application purposes, all job offers are contingent upon verification of highest degree held. Finalists will be required to submit official transcripts.
Screening of applications will begin October 16, 2017
** Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Contact Information Name: Dr. Sathy Rajendran
Title: Search Committee Chair
Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
The conditions of employment with Central Washington University are set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Central Washington University and United Faculty of Central, University policies and procedures, and applicable state and federal laws.
The Collective Bargaining Agreement may be found here: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/faculty-contract/.