Piscataway , NJ
Staff & Executive – Information Technology
New Jersey’s academic health center, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) takes an integrated approach to educating students, providing clinical care, and conducting research, all with the goal of improving human health. Aligned with Rutgers University-New Brunswick and collaborating university wide, RBHS includes eight schools, a behavioral health network, and five centers and institutes that focus on cancer treatment and research, neuroscience, advanced biotechnology and medicine, environmental and occupational health, and health care policy and aging research.
Our faculty are teachers, clinicians, and scientists with unparalleled experience who advance medical innovation and provide patient care informed by the latest research findings. We offer an outstanding education in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, public health, nursing, biomedical research, and the full spectrum of allied health careers.
Our clinical and academic facilities are located throughout the state-at Rutgers University-New Brunswick, including Piscataway and at locations in Newark, Scotch Plains, Somerset, Stratford, and other locations. Clinical partners include Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, Newark’s University Hospital in Newark, and other affiliates.
Through this community of healers, scientists, and scholars, Rutgers is equipped as never before to transform lives.
Rutgers RBHS is an anchor institution that boasts locations in Newark, New Jersey, a city of promise.
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, is seeking an Associate Director of Information Technology for the Department of Computing and Technology Support at the School of Public Health. The Associate Director, Information Technology (IT) manages the Office of Computing and Technology Support’s team while overseeing all IT resources for the School of Public Health including hardware, software, database support, network infrastructure, and departmental administration. The Associate Director will be responsible for providing expert technical, security, and information technology asset management for the School of Public Health.
- Leads the School’s increasingly complex IT environment.
- Oversees all aspects of data administration and security, hardware/software support and maintenance, documentation, computer and auxiliary operations, and quality assurance.
- Ensures all information systems and products meet standards and user requirements and advises management regarding information systems requirements.
- Manages IT strategic planning and budgeting of all related resources.
- Prepares long and short-range plans including applications selection, systems development, systems maintenance, production activities and support resources.
- Evaluates existing and new technologies, makes recommendations, oversees and conducts Project Management and successful implementations.
- Manages a technical team comprised of six full-time staff members and includes hiring, training, performance appraisals, career advancement, and appropriate performance improvement plans, as well as, approves work schedules and timesheets.
- Creates project plans, schedules, and charts.
- Manages, coordinates, and maintains safety and emergency programs and policies.
- Represents the School in various meetings and on committees throughout the University and serves as a central contact for all School IT.
- Reviews, establishes, communicates, and executes IT related policies and procedures in coordination with School leadership and Rutgers protocol.
- Implements strategic thinking, keen problem solving skills, and collegial interpersonal communications.
- Supports the University’s goal on Workplace Diversity and EEO goals and objectives concerning employment and promotional opportunities.
Position Status: Full Time
Daily Work Shift: Day
Annual Minimum Salary: 90079.000
Annual Mid Range Salary: 118993.000
Annual Maximum Salary: 147907.000
Standard Hours: 37.50
Union Description: Non-Union
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment: Staff – 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in personnel management.
- At least two (2) years of experience shall have been in a managerial or supervisory capacity.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge and understanding of information technology management principles and practices.
- Strategic thinking, keen problem solving skills, and a welcoming customer service attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in addition to strong computer literacy.
- Demonstrated leadership and Project Management knowledge.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple competing projects and personnel in various locations.
- Outstanding human relations and management skills.
- Ability to perform in a fast paced team environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge in administering heterogeneous computing environments including servers, networks and personal computers/devices.
- Ability to anticipate, troubleshoot, and resolve issues, strategize, make recommendations, and ensure timely results.
- Ability to attract, train, and motivate IT staff to provide highest level of service throughout the school.
- Ability to conduct short and long-term planning and budgeting to ensure the school’s resources are efficiently and effectively deployed.
- Ability to conceptualize and implement ways to achieve economies of scale in staffing, equipment, hardware, and software throughout the school.
- Ability to take initiative to keep the school current and up to date with the latest technology and ensuring that the school remains at the cutting edge in technology advances.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Programming experience in various languages.
- Five (5) years of server and network management experience.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Must be able to lift or exert force up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work extended hours/days as required to complete projects within timelines.
- Valid driver’s license
- Primarily located in Piscataway with occasional workdays and site visits at the School of Public Health’s other locations including Newark, New Brunswick, Somerset, and Camden.