The Simmons School of Education & Human Development invites applications for an Associate-Full Professor / Department Chair position in the Department of Teaching and Learning. Distinguished candidates at the rank of associate professor with tenure may also be considered, if eligible to assume the rank of professor pending the approval of the appropriate university officials. We are especially interested in candidates whose scholarly work focuses on STEM in one or more of the following areas: pre-K-12 education, teacher education, urban education, learning sciences, science education, math education, or technology integration.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build a collaborative, supportive culture among faculty and staff
- Provide mentorship to the department’s junior faculty and provide recommendations for merit, promotion, and tenure
- Participate in development of research agenda for industry/school district/university model school grant https://www.smu.edu/simmons/AboutUs/ModelSchool
- Engage in graduate education by serving on doctoral dissertation committees and teaching at the graduate level
- Maintain an active research agenda and seek external research funding
- Ensure that department course offerings optimize resources and are offered to assist students toward successful completion of programs
- Develop and improve a collaborative plan for curriculum development, review and revisions
- Oversee the assessment efforts used for state-wide and national accreditation
- Keep faculty and staff updated on institutional issues
- Serve on department, school, university and national committees
For additional information, please visit: https://www.smu.edu/simmons/Academics/TeacherEducation
Required qualifications include: (a) earned doctorate in a STEM Education-related field; (b) demonstrated and ongoing record of scholarly work commensurate with rank; (c) administrative ability developed through prior experiences in administering centers or large grants; (d) excellence in teaching undergraduate and/or graduate courses; (e) demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusiveness; and (f) evidence of participation/leadership in national professional organizations.
Preferred qualifications include: (a) experience developing and/or sustaining collaborative partnerships and interdisciplinary initiatives; (b) leadership experience within higher education, such as serving in administrative positions such as department chair or program director; (c) two or more years of experience working in Pre-K-12 contexts; (d) history of obtaining external funding for research and (e) demonstrated mentorship of doctoral students and junior faculty.
Located near the center of Dallas, SMU is a private university of 11,000 students offering strong undergraduate, graduate and professional programs through seven schools – Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences, Cox School of Business, Meadow School of the Arts, Lyle School of Engineering, Perkins School of Theology, Dedman School of Law, and Simmons School of Education and Human Development. To learn more about the rich cultural environment of SMU: http://smu.edu.
How to apply
Review of applications will begin on November 15, 2018, and the position will remain open until filled. Reference the position number in all documents submitted for application: (1) cover letter outlining research, teaching, and administrative experience; (2) curriculum vitae; (3) copies of two representative scholarly publications; and (4) the names, affiliations, and contact information for three references. References will only be contacted if the candidate advances to the on-campus interview stage. All materials should be submitted electronically through Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/56373. For questions about the search submission process, contact Paula Serna at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the department or position, contact Dr. Paige Ware, Search Committee Chair, email@example.com. Hiring is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of a background check. The start date for this position is Summer 2019. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.