Indiana Wesleyan University invites applications and nominations from motivated, forward-thinking Christian leaders for the position of Chancellor, IWU-Marion.
The University: Indiana Wesleyan University (IWU) is a private, Christian, liberal arts university headquartered in Marion, Indiana and is affiliated with The Wesleyan Church. IWU is the largest member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) and is the largest private university in Indiana based on enrollment. Indiana Wesleyan University, founded in 1920 as Marion College, is organized as a multi-campus university system. The university is made up of three administrative units: IWU-Marion, Wesley Seminary at IWU, and IWU-National & Global.
The historic 350-acre Marion Campus, which houses traditional residential education programs, has an enrollment of nearly 3,000 students. This campus enjoys state-of-the art science, music, athletic, library, and student center facilities. It hosts nationally recognized academic, student life, and athletic programs. Its graduates are highly recruited into some of the nation’s top medical schools, graduate programs, as well as education, business, and other professional careers
The Chancellor: As a senior officer of the University, the Chancellor for IWU-Marion reports directly to the President of the University and is a member of the President’s Executive Council. In essence, the Chancellor serves as the campus president for the University’s 3000-student residential college. In this role, the Chancellor leads the IWU-Marion Cabinet and is directly responsible for all administrative elements of organizational life, such as strategic planning, finance, enrollment management, operations, personnel, athletics, and student life.
While the University Provost exercises primary authority over all academics at the University, as the chief executive leader of IWU-Marion the Chancellor works closely with the University Provost in the oversight, direction, and resourcing of IWU-Marion’s academic programs.
The Chancellor is responsible to cast and implement a compelling and ambitious vision that will guide the future growth of IWU-Marion.
- An earned master’s degree or other equivalent advanced degree from an accredited college or university.
- At least five years of senior level experience in education, business, industry, or government.
- An earned doctorate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- At least seven years of senior leadership experience within a university environment.
- Strong working knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations governing 501(c)(3) institutions in general, and university administration in particular.
- Visionary, innovative, and forward-thinking leader, with passion for students and excellence in higher education.
- Understanding of the higher education landscape, combined with an international outlook and understanding of global trends and opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to forge collaborative relationships across campus, with stakeholders at various levels.
- Ability to successfully navigate and thrive within a multi-campus university context.
- Strong administration capability, involving the following demonstrated qualities: strategic, innovative, proactive, approachable, problem-solver.
- A superb communicator who is able to interact effectively with faculty, students, staff, alumni, local community, donors, and others.
- Proven fiscal management skills, including expertise at managing budgets, raising funds, and business forecasting.
- Ability to address and manage organizational change.
- Reputation for integrity, transparency, accountability, and Christ-likeness in dealing with others.
Personal Characteristics: According to Indiana Wesleyan University’s employment policy, all employees must possess a strong Christian commitment and adhere to the standards outlined in the IWU Community Lifestyle Statement. Incumbents must be in full agreement and harmony with the Wesleyan Statement of Faith, and it is strongly preferred that they either be a current member or be willing to join The Wesleyan Church.
Compensation: Compensation will correspond to the experience and credentials of the candidate, and will reflect the leadership responsibilities of the position. Reasonable relocation assistance will be provided.
NOMINATIONS and APPLICATIONS: EFL Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting Indiana Wesleyan University (IWU) with its search for this important position. All calls and inquiries should be made through the search firm. Nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence and candidates will remain confidential until the final stage of the search, at which time the express permission of finalists will be obtained before making their candidacy public. In addition, no contact to references will be made without prior approval of the candidate.
For more information about IWU and the Chancellor role (including duties & responsibilities), please review the Position Profile. If the direct link doesn’t work in this advertisement, please go to our website at www.eflassociates.com and click on Open Positions and Higher Education.
Confidential inquiries, questions and nominations may be directed to:
Steve Waldron, J.D.
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates
Direct Line: 816-945-5423
Nominations, search process questions and assistance with PeopleAdmin (the candidate portal) can be directed to:
Ms. Angela Lilje
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates
Direct Line: 816-945-5410
How to apply
Applications should include:
- A letter of introduction outlining the applicant’s background, and qualifications for the position. (This letter should specifically address the leadership attributes and professional competencies for this position.)
- Curriculum vitae/resume.
- Contact information (e-mail addresses are required) for five professional references, at least one of which is a person who has reported directly to you, a second who is a colleague, and a third who is an individual to whom the applicant has reported directly.
- All documents should be submitted electronically in PDF format through PeopleAdmin: http://eflassociates.peopleadmin.com/postings/1219
- Application deadline is September 1, 2018.
- The start date will be negotiated with the candidate, preferably no later than January 1, 2019.