We are looking for a collaborative team member with a passion for educating in the fields of entrepreneurship and technology transfer. The Entrepreneur Educator for the Research & Innovation Office will lead CU Boulder’s campus-wide educational programming for commercialization and co-curricular entrepreneurship.
The Entrepreneur Educator will be responsible for educational programming in two key areas. In the first key area, the Entrepreneur Educator will lead a “Commercialization Academy” to provide training for CU Boulder researchers wishing to translate their inventions into commercial impact. This function enhances the innovation culture and commercialization competency among university faculty, graduate students, and post-doctoral researchers. In the second key area, the Entrepreneur Educator will develop co-curricular resources as well as facilitate workshops and educational experiences that develop entrepreneurial thinking and skills in undergrads, grads and postdocs across all units, departments and disciplines on campus.
The position will report directly to the Director of Technology Transfer and will indirectly report to the Director of the Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative.
Who we are:
As one of 34 U.S. public research institutions belonging to the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU)-and the only member in the Rocky Mountain region-our goal at CU Boulder is to directly benefit the world through collaborative research, innovation and entrepreneurship. Our faculty, staff and students work with the broader community to establish unique connections that have lasting outcomes-both across Colorado and around the world. CU Boulder aspires to be the innovation university.
The Technology Transfer Office (TTO) is a key catalyst for innovation. TTO’s mission is to facilitate the transfer of breakthrough inventions from the University to society. Our work is exciting, fast-paced, and multidisciplinary, bringing together the domains of business, science, and law.
The Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I&E) Initiative provides more opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to engage in and experience entrepreneurial and innovative activities and mindsets, ensuring that they are all prepared to succeed in the 21st century. Formed in 2016, this initiative helps drive one of the Chancellor’s three strategic imperatives for campus, which is to become a leading university in innovation.
The University of Colorado Boulder is situated in one of the most innovative communities in the country. Boulder has been ranked by Forbes as the best city in America in which to start a business, and as the top city in America by Bloomberg’s Brain Concentration Index.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Commercialization Academy for Technology Transfer —
- Manage an education program to train university researchers in foundational principles of technology commercialization.
- Ensure the program includes both conceptual and applied/experiential learning.
- Recruit and maintains relationships with university and community speakers and teachers who develop and deliver content.
- Develop online content that is easily accessible and delivers pre-requisite subject matter.
- Help develop promotional material and events, and execute a campus-wide communication strategy to prospective participants.
- Engage community partners and university stakeholders to secure incentives for participants.
- Conduct diligence and benchmarking with other commercialization education programs at leading universities.
- Design and implement a thorough participant feedback system, and integrate participant feedback into future program iterations.
- Coordinate the timing of the program with other commercialization and entrepreneurship events on campus.
Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative Educational Experiences —
- Develop co-curricular experiences and resources around creating successful startups, how to develop entrepreneurial ideas, and how to think and work like an entrepreneur
- Transfer entrepreneurial theories, practices and methodologies into all disciplines
- Facilitate sessions for small and large groups of stakeholders as well as one on one coaching
- Aggregate and creates an online space of best practices in startups, scale-ups, and entrepreneurship
- Employ pedagogical techniques that relate to all learning modalities as well as asynchronous and hybrid tools (online and in person)
- Work closely with the I&E Initiative to align campus educational needs and goals (such as the New Venture Challenge)
- Lead and schedule workshops, bootcamps, and co-curricular experiences for beginner to expert levels of understanding
- Network with the startup community to bring their expertise into the design, execution, and facilitation of workshops
- Recruit participants from across campus and the community
- Connect with campus stakeholders to serve their entrepreneurial education needs
What you should know:
This position involves occasional work during the evening.
What we can offer:
We offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, starting at $100,000. In addition, the University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be diverse. Be inspired. Be strategic. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, science, engineering, or bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in any field with experience relevant to entrepreneurship and commercialization.
- At least 6 years of professional experience with a focus on innovation, professional training, entrepreneurship, startups, and/or technology transfer.
What you will need:
- Strong ability to teach and inspire your audience.
- Dynamic marketing and outreach skills to attract program participants.
- Collaborative and relational style that can build strong ties inside and outside the university.
- Exceptionally strong leadership and networking skills.
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills.
- Proficient project manager with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural, political and geographical differences, with ability to work well with faculty, staff and students from around the world.
What we’d like you to have:
- Master’s degree or higher in education, science, engineering, business, or law
- At least 3 years’ experience in each of the following areas:
- Teaching in the field of entrepreneurship.
- Technology transfer or startups.
- Proven success working within or directly with higher education.
- Knowledge of and connections into the Boulder/Denver entrepreneurship community.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
How to apply
Please apply by December 12, 2017
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required : Cover Letter, Resume/CV Application Materials Instructions : To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A COVER LETTER that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position. MOST PARTICULARLY, please tell us how your six-plus years of professional experience focus on innovation, professional training, entrepreneurship, startups, and/or technology transfer.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: First-Last-Resume-CL-11500.
Please do not upload references at this time.