This position serves as the academic leader for Competency-Based Education across Walden University. The Dean of Competency-Based Education reports directly to Walden University’s Provost and Chief Academic Officer and is a member of the academic leadership team, leading and contributing to university wide initiatives, as appropriate. This position is a remote position affording the individual the flexibility to work from home with occasional travel to Walden’s academic headquarters in Minneapolis, MN and operational headquarters in Baltimore, MD.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides overall leadership and creates an environment of excellence for competency-based education (CBE) at Walden University.
- Builds capacity across the University for faculty to develop competency-based curriculum and teach in a competency-based modality, learning architects / course designers in constructing CBE curriculum, and University governance to properly review CBE programs and policy changes.
- Ensures the continuous improvement in the CBE learning modality.
- Partners with the business and operations teams to ensure delivery of a unified student learning experience.
- Promotes retention and persistence / progression through evidence-based practices.
- Provides thought leadership to the university and the wider CBE community.
- Supports and furthers the University’s mission and vision. Integrates the University’s mission and vision within all CBE learning modality initiatives.
- Collaborates across Walden colleges, schools, faculty members, councils, and staff to effectively drive CBE policies, technology, and improvement initiatives.
- Fosters a culture of evidence and promotes a variety of research and assessment activities designed to document the academic quality of Walden’s CBE programs.
- Participates in strategic planning and development of key internal and external University resources and relationships.
- Establish and manage a new Center for Competency-Based Education at Walden University including direct responsibility for any budget and personnel associated with the center.
- Support the regulatory application and approval process with the Higher Learning Commission and the U.S. Department of Education related to new CBE program offerings.
- Successfully drives the intermediate and long-range goals and plans of CBE and leads the university in growth efforts aimed at recruiting, advancing, and maintaining a diverse learning community of faculty, staff, and students.
- Monitor and ensure CBE curriculum quality in partnership with college leadership and curriculum development team.
- Monitor and ensure CBE teaching quality in partnership with the Walden Center for Faculty Excellence and college leadership.
- Supports marketing initiatives to foster the growth of competency-based education and programs.
- Acts as lead representative for the university at all C-BEN convenings and collaboratory sessions.
- Develops appropriate partnerships consistent with the University’s mission.
- Represents the University at appropriate professional meetings and conferences related to CBE and other new modalities of learning.
- Supports the preparation of appropriate documentation for accrediting and other agencies.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Doctoral degree required.
- Significant experience in a position of academic leadership.
- A minimum of 3 years related experience to launching and improving competency-based learning modalities.
- A minimum of 3-5 years related experience in higher education and a track record of success as a faculty member.