Copenhagen Business School (CBS) is seeking a Dean of Research from January 1st 2018.
CBS is also seeking a Dean of Education from January 1st 2018. For further information, please visit cbs.dk/deansofcbs.
The Dean of Research and the Dean of Education along with the President and the University Director comprise the Executive Senior Management of CBS which, in cooperation with the Board, sets the strategic direction for the ongoing development of the University.
The Executive Senior Management is responsible for the daily management of CBS as well as strategic development and long-term policies. It also has the responsibility together with the broader group of managers, employees and students – to lead and develop CBS´ research, education and relationship with external stakeholders.
The present strategy; ´Business in Society´, defines Copenhagen Business School as a business university with a broad academic profile, a strong and international research foundation, a commitment to research-based education of high international standards, focus on entrepreneurship and innovation, and close cooperation with public and private organisations and companies.
CBS is an attractive, responsible and engaging workplace where management has a fundamental responsibility for encouraging initiatives and interest in approaches that generate a better understanding of how business can contribute positively to core societal needs. CBS wants to grow and further develop its distinctive diversity and management has a fundamental responsibility for facilitating contributions to CBS by pursuing excellence in academic and administrative matters, rewarding uniqueness and high quality.
CBS is known for the quality and effectiveness of its operations. Management has a fundamental responsibility for enhancing job satisfaction, working with explicit principles for delegation, empowering staff through participation in discussions and the development of all key issues, keeping agreements, meeting deadlines, and developing meaningful local solutions that fit with CBS’ standards and systems.
CBS is seeking Deans, who by through extensive management experience from higher education, creativity, personal commitment, integrity and strong communication skills, can contribute to setting new ambitious standards for the strategic development of CBS in research as well as in education.
Responsibilities of the Dean of Research
The Dean of Research has the strategic and organisational responsibility for CBS’ research and academic staff and shall focus on the following areas:
- Maintain the strategic development of the research area, including further development of the cooperation with public and private organisations across CBS’ 14 academic departments
- Ensure significant growth in the quality and quantity of CBS’ research output
- Overall responsibility for the recruitment and development of academic staff in cooperation with departments and the Executive Senior Management team
- Maintain coherence between research and education in cooperation with the Dean of Education
- Ensure a robust and integral strategy for significant growth of CBS’ external research funding
- Exercise responsibility for the development of CBS’ World Class Research Environments
- Ensure coherence between CBS’ Business in Society Platforms and CBS´ research
- Develop the quality for CBS’ PhD Education
- Management/leadership of the Head of Departments, Research Office and the PhD School leaders
- Contribute to a collaborative environment among members of CBS Executive Senior Management team
Qualifications: Common to both Deans positions, special emphasis will be given to the following qualifications:
- A track record of management/leadership experience from higher education
- An international network among business school leaders and managers
- Experience with and understanding of a university’s interaction between higher education, management and the larger society
- Personal integrity and ability to handle and develop a complex organization
- A strong ability to lead, cooperate and communicate with staff at all levels, other universities, and public and private organisations and companies
- Ability to inspire and motivate staff, colleagues and partners for teamwork and collaboration
- Experience with diversity management and conflict resolution
- Ability to produce tangible and relevant results
- Committed to developing a good work environment with a productive work/life balance and embrace workplace diversity
- Willingness to accept feedback and willingness to learn
- Fluent in English and openness to learning Danish
- Be a recognized researcher within one or more of CBS’ fields of research at least at the level of associate professor
Qualifications: Especially for the position as Dean of Research
- A strong record of research leadership (creation, management and development of significant research projects and environments)
- A record of external research funding, including EU funds
- A strong record of published research and research-related outputs
- Experience with creation, management and development of research projects and environments
- Ability to disseminate research findings in an active and engaging fashion
Equal Opportunity Employer
CBS is an employer that follows the principle of equal opportunity in regards to its hiring and promotion procedures, and agrees not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, or age.
Salary and the appointment committees
The positions as Deans are for a fixed term of three to five years. It is possible to extend the position for another three years. Salary, duration, and terms of appointment are open for negotiation.
The positions are filled in accordance with the Danish collective agreement for academics, as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and AC (The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations), and in accordance with the Danish University Act and CBS´ Bylaws
The President of CBS has appointed one Appointment Committees. The Appointment Committee will assess the qualifications of all applicants, conduct the formal interviews with selected applicants, and recommend to the President who shall be offered the positions as Deans.
The recruitment firm Odgers Berndtson (Eva Zeuthen Bentsen, firstname.lastname@example.org), will assist CBS in the recruitment process.
The first interviews will be held in Copenhagen on August 28th and 31st 2017, and the second interviews on September 11th 2017.
Odgers Berndtson will use tests as part of the assessment procedure. Tests will be held in the period between September 1st to 8th 2017.
How to apply
The application deadline is July 31st 2017 at 12.00.
Besides an application and a CV, all applicants should submit an outline for CBS’ development in the field of either research and /or education over the next decade (max2 A4 pages) depending on the position applied for.
Please visit cbs.dk/deansofcbs for application.