The University of Pikeville, the Leading University in Central Appalachia, is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Dean of the KY College of Optometry. Located in the heart of Appalachia, the University of Pikeville is committed to offering a broad liberal arts and health professions education. The Dean of the Kentucky College of Optometry shall be the chief academic officer for the Optometry College. The Dean shall be responsible for the development and administration of the Optometric academic programs and policies in conjunction with the Provost and President, and shall perform other such duties as the President or the Board of Trustees may direct from time to time.
This role is tasked with leading the faculty in determining and implementing the academic and clinical program necessary to maintain the College in the forefront of the profession. The Dean leads the Kentucky College of Optometry in activities devoted to fundraising. In doing so, the Dean must articulate within and outside KYCO values and standards of the Optometric profession. Within the University of Pikeville, the Dean is the principle advocate of the Kentucky College of Optometry, ensuring that the needs of the faculty, the students, and the curriculum are fully considered in the making of University-wide decisions.
The Dean performs the following essential duties:
- Serve as the chief academic officer for the College of Optometry;
- Work with University leadership to establish the College of Optometry;
- Administer the preparation of materials and documentation required for accreditation of the school by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE);
- Ensure that the academic and patient care missions of the College are accomplished;
- Oversee the process of developing and maintaining an evidence-based medical curriculum;
- Provide leadership for recruiting and retaining highly qualified faculty, staff and students;
- Promote the College and University’s positive image, state-of-the-art facilities, and educational programs;
- Ensure the efficient administration of College matters pertaining to personnel, facilities, budget, equipment, and planning;
- Supervise the College’s service outreach throughout Appalachia, including under served rural communities through activities such as providing patient care services, enhancing interdisciplinary and inter-professional collaborations, and developing and enhancing positive relationships with alumni, industry, and educational institutions and government agencies.
Required qualifications include:
- Doctorate of Optometry from an ACOE accredited institution.
- Must have outstanding Optometric educator abilities and excellent organizational skills in previous positions.
- A minimum 3 years of leadership experience as an academic program leader or dean at a school of Optometry and/or a teaching hospital or clinic where optometry students practice clinical skills.
- Must have the credentials to receive a faculty appointment at the college.
- Must obtain a license to practice Optometry within the State of Kentucky within 12 months of appointment to the Faculty.
- Demonstrated leadership and administrative experience, abilities and qualities to manage academic and clinical programs at the professional doctoral level.
- A history of demonstrating strong character, collegiality & outstanding integrity.
Preferred qualifications include:
- A record of developing and maintaining a progressive and productive environment that supports teaching, clinical practice, and research activities;
- Postgraduate training (e.g., Clinical residency, Masters, Ph.D., or Ed.D.);
- Understanding of and commitment to the pedagogy of classroom, laboratory, and clinical education;
- Comprehensive administrative skills, including communication, supervision and budget management;
- And personal qualities of integrity, organization, enthusiasm and industriousness.
The University of Pikeville offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. UPIKE offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, telemedicine, long term disability, tuition waivers, a 403(b) retirement plan, and HSA, FSA, and dependent care accounts. UPIKE also offers a generous holiday schedule and paid leave program.
Important Notes: Resume and other application materials will be reviewed to determine if you meet the required qualifications for the position. If it is determined that you meet the required qualifications, your application materials will be used to identify a top group of the most highly qualified candidates. Please, specifically address the qualifications, competencies and desired qualifications in your resume and application materials.
The University of Pikeville is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history.
The University of Pikeville is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Pikeville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the University of Pikeville Title IX Coordinator by calling 606-218-5216.
How to apply
For more information about the University of Pikeville, please visit http://www.upike.edu. Interested applicants should complete the online application by visiting https://jobs.upike.edu. In addition to the application, interested applicants are requested to attach to their application a letter of interest, current resume, and the contact information for three to five professional references.