Texas A&M University’s College of Architecture invites applications and nominations for the position of Head, Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning (LAUP). The Department of LAUP is located in the College of Architecture at Texas A&M University, along with the Departments of Architecture, Construction Science, and Visualization. The College is home to a diverse and comprehensive array of disciplines and degree-granting programs related to the natural, built, and virtual environments. The College has a strong reputation in the areas of teaching, research, and service, and encourages interdisciplinary cooperation among administrators, departments, faculty, and students. Five research centers, two research institutes, several laboratories, and advanced fabrication facilities support trans-disciplinary projects of benefit to the academic and public sectors.
The Department of LAUP is home to more than 40 full-time and part-time faculty members dedicated to professional education and a strong commitment to peer-reviewed research and publication. Six degree programs are offered by the department including: the Bachelor of Science in Urban and Regional Planning, the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture, the Master of Landscape Architecture, the Master of Urban Planning, the Master of Land and Property Development, and the Ph.D. in Urban and Regional Science. The department has strong interdisciplinary ties and faculty involvement with the Hazard Reduction and Recovery Center, the Texas A&M Transportation Institute, the Institute of Sustainable Coastal Communities, the Heritage Conservation Center, the Center for Housing and Urban Development, the Center for Health Systems and Design, and other centers and certificate programs in related fields within the College of Architecture. The research initiatives by our faculty generate impressive external research funds compared to our peers. For more information, please see http://laup.arch.tamu.edu.
The successful candidate will bring vision and leadership to maintain excellence with respect
to the mission of the department and will demonstrate significant evidence of:
· Leadership in professional education and practice in landscape architecture, land and property development, and/or urban planning
· Academic leadership, mentorship and management in an interdisciplinary environment
· Published scholarship in peer-reviewed venues
· Entrepreneurial spirit and vision
· Effective and fair administration of human and financial resources
· Successful advocacy for interdisciplinary education
· Attracting extramural funding
· A terminal degree and recognized leadership in landscape architecture, land and property development, or urban planning or a closely related discipline
· Demonstrated knowledge, experience, and record of excellence in higher education
· Qualified and able to teach both graduate and undergraduate courses
· Credentials that merit appointment at the rank of Full Professor
Information on the College of Architecture is available at http://www.arch.tamu.edu
Information on the Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning is available at http://laup.arch.tamu.edu.
How to apply
Applications should include a letter of interest that addresses administrative experience, leadership philosophy, and vision of professional education and research; a curriculum vitae; contact information (name, address, phone number and email) for at least five references. The Search Committee may request additional materials. Consideration of application materials will begin on November 17th, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Applications, nominations, and inquiries should be sent to:
Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration
Chair, LAUP Head Search Committee
3137 TAMU, College of Architecture
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77843-313
The Texas A&M University system will provide equal opportunity to all applicants for employment, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.