Department: College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS)
Director of Communication
The George Mason University College of Humanities and Social Sciences seeks a Director of Communications reporting to the Dean of the College. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences is George Mason’s largest collegiate unit, with almost 400 full-time faculty. In Fall 2017, it enrolled one-quarter of all of the university’s undergraduate students and 14 percent of all graduate students. It offers 27 majors, 56 minors, 15 master’s degrees (and a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing), 9 doctoral degrees, and a variety of graduate certificates. Faculty and students are highly active in research, with external research funding to the College averaging $15-$20 million annually. Over the years, the College’s faculty has included two Nobel laureates, two Pulitzer prize winners, six Guggenheim recipients, and two MacArthur fellows.
- Responsible for the College’s overall communication strategy, with the opportunity to develop a forward-looking strategic communications plan that highlights the strengths of the College and its contributions to University missions;
- Serve as editor and production manager for College print materials and its alumni magazine;
- Contribute content for all websites in the College (including departments and centers) in the content management system (CHSSWeb), while also ensuring the quality of content contributed to CHSSWeb by users of the system throughout the College;
- Manage the College’s social media presence;
- Provide support for major college events;
- Work closely with the College marketing coordinator and the communications specialist in the College’s development office;
- Coordinate and maintain relationships with the University communications and marketing offices;
- Ensure the clear and consistent representation of the College’s and University’s missions and visual identities across mediums.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, editing, and oral communication skills;
- Management and facilitation skills;
- Experience with magazine publication;
- An understanding of content management systems;
- Experience managing social media accounts;
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well in teams;
- Masters degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Work experience in higher education;
- Siginificant relevant experience.
For full consideration, apply by July 5, 2018.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Location: Fairfax, VA
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
How to apply
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.