(Recruitment No. 18-000898)
Washburn University invites applications for the position of Director of Music Education to begin August 1, 2019. This is a 9-month, tenure track appointment as Assistant Professor. A completed doctorate is necessary for tenure-track appointments. For more information about this position, the Washburn community, and the NASM accredited music department, visit: washburn.edu/music.
· Doctorate in Music Education, ABD applicants will be considered.
· Three or more years of successful experience teaching pre-kindergarten, elementary or secondary music classes.
· A minimum of two years teaching music education at the postsecondary level.
· Experience with assessment and/or accreditation of music education programs.
· Experience with current instructional technology approaches in music education.
· Evidence of scholarship in music education.
· Experience coordinating/supervising pre-kindergarten through secondary school music teaching field experiences.
· Teaching music education courses, including but not limited to: Introduction to Music Education, Foundations of Music Education, Vocal/General Music Methods, and Instrumental Music Methods.
· Supervision of music education student teachers.
· Serving as liaison to the Washburn University Department of Education.
· Additional courses or responsibilities as needed by the department and assigned to fit the successful applicant’s qualifications and experience.
· Expected to contribute to the life of the department and university through service, creative and scholarly activities.
How to apply
Application review will begin February 28, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Send application letter, vita, copies of transcripts, and contact information for 3 professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application letter should include a brief description of the candidate’s philosophy of music education. Only electronic applications will be accepted. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and /or service. The successful candidate will be required to provide official transcripts and submit to a background check prior to hire.
Washburn is an EOE and dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.