Working in the Office of Communications and Marketing, the Director of Public Relations is responsible for the quality and effectiveness of the University’s PR and integrated media strategy, which includes fully integrated external communications, media relations, thought leadership and other reputation-enhancing initiatives.
This position will develop strong brand and institutional positioning for the University with influential media and other influencers locally, regionally, nationally and, selectively, globally.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop an overall media outreach plan for the University to promote key initiatives, special events, and news.
- Work with University leadership, including the Office of the President to develop a strong institutional position in the press and significantly raise the University’s visibility in the critical areas, including regional and national exposure
- Enhance institutional reputation by driving influential and desired news coverage.
- Coordinate across the division to bring stories to life for media and external audiences via brand journalism/owned content and social media.
- Develop annual, seasonal and opportunistic PR strategies and plans, including messaging, strategic timing and tactics as part of broader integrated marketing efforts.
- Help set key performance indicators (KPIs) for PR and lead measurement and reporting efforts.
- Draft op-eds, bylines and thought pieces as needed.
- Help to lead issues/crisis protocols and response.
- Oversee and manage all PR agencies, vendors and services.
- Supervise at least one direct report
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism or relevant area of study.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in progressively senior management of communications, public relations, and a strong understanding of the business needs and competitive challenges.
- Significant experience developing and executing a consistent approach and framework across external communications efforts and channels with measurable results.
- Articulate, strategic, and pragmatic problem-solving skills and the ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Master’s degree in public relations, communications or relevant area of study.
- Direct experience working in higher education.
How to apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: https://jobs.liu.edu/#/job_details/725
LIU is an equal opportunity employer. LIU is committed to extending equal opportunity in employment to all qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. LIU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. Hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States.