University Communications and Marketing is the key implementer of Rutgers’ comprehensive communications program. Our units work collaboratively and creatively on projects, both long- and short-term, that heighten awareness of the Rutgers story. We guide and support Rutgers people as they spread the word about their programs, people, initiatives, and achievements; we help the public learn about and access Rutgers’ many resources; and we help the media tap our experts and report on our news and events.
As the steward of the Rutgers brand, the department oversees university marketing and advertising, identifies marketing opportunities, recommends and supports market research activities, and serves as a resource to communications and marketing professionals throughout the university.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Director of University News and Digital Strategy for the Office of News and Media Relations, part of the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Reporting to the senior director, the incumbent in this position is responsible for day-to-day office operations and for executing messages, strategies, policies, procedures and plans for effectively advancing Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, through news, trade and digital media.
Among the key duties of the position are the following:
- Executes media strategies for and provides strategic counsel to the senior director and other senior leadership regarding emerging issues and opportunities for news promotion.
- Oversees team that pitches and promotes content via multiple distribution channels.
- Develops and manages a strategic digital distribution program.
- Acts as a spokesperson to the news media and must exercise good judgment when handling complex and sensitive university-wide issues in high-pressure situations.
- Works closely with the senior director and other units within the Department of University Communications and Marketing to develop, maintain and implement crisis and emergency communications plans, including assisting the senior director in coordinating communications for weather and other emergencies.
- Serves as backup to the senior director as needed.
Position Status: Full Time
Annual Minimum Salary: 96529.000
Annual Mid Range Salary: 122180.000
Annual Maximum Salary: 147831.000
Standard Hours: 37.50
Union Description: Admin Assembly (MPSC)
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment: Staff – 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in media relations, communications or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Seven years of experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be a strategic thinker, proven problem-solver and must value collaboration with other people and units.
- Must be able to quickly assess issues and crises and develop and execute effective plans to address them.
- Must be able to handle multiple competing priorities and work confidently, diplomatically and decisively under stress.
- Experience creating and implementing digital promotion strategies
- Experience managing teams and/or staff by promoting and fostering a collaborative and client-focused approach
- Must have experience developing and executing short- and long-term communications plans.
- Experience directly engaging news reporters
- Experience as a spokesperson
- Strong writing and editing skills and keen attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Experience using data to influence decisions and to report effectiveness is strongly desired.
- Daily editorial production experience and digital distribution experience are strongly desired.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and effectively executing creative strategies and techniques for reaching targeted audiences through digital strategies and public relations programs
- Experience as a communications professional at an institute of higher education
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Will be on-call during early morning hours, evenings, weekends and holidays.
- May be required to work from home or other off-site locations.
- This position is classified as essential, which means the position will be required to work during university emergencies or closures.
Valid driver’s license and must be willing to use a personal car for university business.
How to apply
Rutgers is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer