Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Built Environment, at the School of Engineering, Aalto University, invite applications for full-time doctoral student positions in the area of connected vehicle technology and smart mobility. The doctoral positions are funded through the support from the Henry Ford Foundation Finland.
Advances in in-vehicle sensing, processing, and communication technology in the last decades is enabling rapid development of connected vehicle technology and related smart mobility services. This represent an attractive opportunity to develop future methodologies and technologies aiming at improving the performance and efficiency of vehicles, accounting for traditional and novel indicators, the in-vehicle experience of users, as well as the performance of the overall traffic system, both at local and network level. Particular emphasis is devoted in the interaction among these three aspects, accounting also for the role of humans in these processes.
Doctoral students will be encouraged to determine their research focus in relation to connected vehicle technology and to the abovementioned broad areas. In addition, doctoral students will be encouraged to implement a multidisciplinary approach in their research and cooperate with colleagues within Aalto University, but also across the world. In particular, students will have opportunities for research collaboration with peers from TU Delft, Virginia Tech, and UC Berkeley. However, the increased freedom in determining the area of research interest is required to be accompanied with responsibility for intellectual merit and approval through peer-review publication practice.
Prospective student should have a Master’s degree in one, and identifiable research experience in one of the following (or related) fields:
- Transportation Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical/Communications Engineering
Prospective student should have in-depth understanding of her/his field of expertise, fluency in English, experience with scientific writing, skills for active reporting, and interaction with other project members. Special emphasis in the evaluation will be placed on modeling and analysis skills.
The successful candidate should start late 2017, latest. The doctoral student position is contract-based; a one year contract is granted first, followed by a possible extension up to four years, depending on the achievements during the first contractual period. In a maximum of four years, the doctoral student is required to 1) complete the doctoral dissertation based on peer-review publications (accepted and submitted), 2) finish relevant courses for 40 ECTS credits and 3) participate in teaching. The applicant must fulfill the requirements for entitlement to do postgraduate studies at Aalto University: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/Admission+requirements.
Salary and benefits
Aalto University applies the salary system of Finnish universities. In addition, student will be supported to participate in international conferences and to participate in studies and research at other departments/universities. Moreover, the students will receive strong support in developing knowledge and competencies for success in the future career, either in academic or non-academic sector.
General information about doctoral studies at Aalto University can be found at the Into page (https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/Applying+for+doctoral+studies). For further details, contact Prof. Kari Tammi, Claudio Roncoli, or Milos Mladenovic (email@example.com), or, in questions related to the recruitment process, HR Coordinator Kirsi Kärkkäinen, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to apply
Required application documents (pdf files):
- CV including list of publications or manuscripts in preparation, as well as evaluation of modeling/analysis software and skills.
- A certified copy of master’s and bachelor’s degree certificate and official transcript of records, and their translations, if the originals are not in Finnish, Swedish or English. (Minimum average grading requirements: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/Application+instructions). Students graduating in autumn 2017 are also encouraged to apply.
- Statement describing previous knowledge, previous research experience, motivation and self-assessment of suitability for doctoral studies, and suggestion of area(s) of research interest (max 2 pages).
- Proof of proficiency in English if the applicant is not a native speaker or educated in this language. (Language skill proof requirements: http://www.aalto.fi/en/studies/admissions/tech/masters_degree/language_requirements/)
- Minimum one recommendation letter from a previous supervisor or research collaborator.
The applications for the doctoral student position are to be submitted through the eRecruitment system no later than on the August 31, 2017, using the following link: http://www.aalto.fi/en/about/careers/jobs/view/1425/
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.