Assistant/Associate Professor (Tenure-Track) or Full-time Teaching Faculty Position in Computer Science and Technology
Plymouth State University is a primarily undergraduate university situated in central New Hampshire. Surrounded by lakes and mountains, the 170-acre campus provides students with an outstanding natural laboratory for learning and an ideal setting for outdoor recreation. The University has consistently earned national recognition for its commitment to community service, environmental sustainability, academic excellence, and employee wellness.
We are transforming our campus to create a first-of-its-kind university organized around seven integrated clusters:
- Exploration and Discovery
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Arts and Technologies
- Health and Human Enrichment
- Justice and Security
- Education, Democracy and Social Change
- Tourism, Environment and Sustainable Development
This cluster learning model will provide an innovative learning environment that strengthens our legacy of interdisciplinary study and experiential learning. Now is an exciting time to join Plymouth State and help shape our new kind of university and ultimately tomorrow’s leaders.
The Computer Science and Technology Department at Plymouth State invites applications for one full time (tenure-track if the minimum qualification is satisfied) faculty position, beginning January 2018 (or August 2018) to spearhead a new B.S. program in Electromechanical Technology and Robotics. The appointee is expected to finalize its curriculum, coordinate this program, and teach some of the related courses.
The department currently offers two undergraduate degree programs: a B.S. in Computer Science and a B.S. in Information Technology. At present, the department has five full-time faculty, several part-time faculty, a half-time systems administrator, and serves approximately 150 majors. The department continues to explore innovative approaches, and adopt emerging technologies, to further improve Computer Science and Information Technology education. It also plays a vital role in Plymouth State’s general education program, as well as the cluster-based environment, towards which the university is transforming.
A successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape the new program’s direction and curriculum, and design dedicated laboratory space. The developing Electromechanical Technology and Robotics program has significant support from the administration, especially during this transformative time.
The search is open to all System / Electrical / Computer Engineering, Computer Science and/or Robotics fields of expertise, but preference is given to applicants with experience in Robotics, Mechatronics, and Cyber-physical systems.
Duties & Responsibilities for a full time position: Responsibilities include a strong commitment to teaching, scholarship and service that includes teaching up to 12 credits per semester. Additional responsibilities include advising and mentoring undergraduate students, and providing departmental and university service. Successful applicants will be able to teach computer science and information technology courses across department curricula. Courses range from introductory to advanced topics and may include Introduction to Electromechanical Technology, Computer Hardware, Microcontroller and Distributed Systems, Robotics, and other courses as appropriate. Candidates should be motivated to take a leading role in developing new curricula in the emerging areas of electromechanical technology, and cyber-physical systems. Finally, candidates should have a strong interest in working on interdisciplinary projects across various disciplines.
- Master in System / Electrical / Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, Mechatronics or a related field with 5 years of industry experience;
- University-level teaching experience in System / Electrical / Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, or Mechatronics discipline.
- Experience with high-impact, engaging learning techniques in the classroom
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated collegiality and ability to collaborate with colleagues
- Demonstrated commitment to success of all students
- Interest in engaging in multidisciplinary research and project involving collaboration with internal and external partners
Additional Required Qualifications for Tenure-Track Consideration:
- Earned doctorate in degree in System / Electrical / Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, Mechatronics or a related field. ABDs will be considered but must have doctorate in hand before the starting date.
- A record of scholarship or strong potential for scholarship and/or experience as a practitioner in industry
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience as a practitioner in industry
- Interest or experience teaching in one or more of the following areas: Digital Systems, Microcontroller and Distributed Systems, Robotics
- Experience working on interdisciplinary projects
- Interest in developing and teaching courses in the general education program
- Experience with team, committee, or other academic leadership
How to apply
Review of applications begins October 1, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled or otherwise closed at the University’s discretion. To receive full consideration for this position, apply online at http://jobs.usnh.edu/postings/27509
Applicants should be prepared to upload the following documents when applying online:
● Letter of application describing qualifications
● Curriculum vitae
● Teaching philosophy statement
● Statement of research interests
● Three (3) current written letters of recommendation *
● Copies of graduate transcripts
- Request for recommendation letters are automated and will be sent out at the time application. Applicants will be required to provide contact name and email address for references. For applicants who prefer to use Interfolio, please follow this link for instructions. https://help.interfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/203701096-Upload-Letters-to-an-Online-Application-System
Benefits & Salary: Plymouth State University provides a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefit program.
Background Check: The finalists for these positions will be required to undergo a full background check. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon satisfactory results.