Massey Institute of Food Science and Technology, College of Health
We are seeking an experienced Food Technologist to pursue an exciting opportunity on the development of a wide variety of commercially-funded projects developing novel products for local and export markets.
Massey University is seeking a Food Technologist or Product Developer to support the rapid growth experienced by the Food Innovation Team within the Massey Institute of Food Science and Technology. We are open to applications from technologists at various stages of their career, and the scope of the role and level of responsibility will be adjusted accordingly.
Your personal experience within the food industry ensures that you are familiar with the commercial environment, and has helped you develop an extensive professional network. You are flexible and resourceful, and enjoy the challenges associated with successfully coordinating complex and varied projects.
You will be passionate about applying your technical knowledge to the successful completion of a wide variety of commercially-funded projects developing novel products for local and export markets. You will work with prospective clients and relevant technical and academic staff to take projects from enquiry through to the delivery of the final report. This will include project scoping and feasibility assessment, development of proposals, experimental design and execution, analysis and interpretation of results, and writing of reports. You will regularly participate in experimental work at both a laboratory and pilot plant scale, and may also be involved in work at commercial scale if required by the client.
You will report to the Food Innovation Team Leader, and will work closely with the FoodPilot Manager and other University staff to successfully deliver on the client’s requirements. You will oversee casual staff and interns, and depending on your managerial experience, may be assigned line management responsibility for a small number of experienced technicians and technologists. Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience.
This position based is at the Massey University campus in Palmerston North.
Ensure the successful completion of commercially-funded product and process development projects undertaken by the Food Innovation and FoodPilot teams.
Food Innovation Team Leader, Riddet Innovation, Massey Institute of Food Science and Technology, Massey University
• Effectively and efficiently respond to enquiries from prospective clients, scoping and assessment of potential projects, liaison with academic and technical staff from within the University and our collaborators, preparation of project proposals and estimation of required resources.
• Coordination of projects from contract to completion, ensuring excellent communication within the team and with the client, and that the final outputs are on time and to the required standard.
• Ensure Health and Safety and Food Safety policies are adhered to at all times.
• Identify and engage in business development and marketing opportunities for the FoodPilot and Food Innovation team.
• Optional: Management of 1-3 technologists and technicians on a day-to-day basis, supporting and empowering their personal and professional development.
• Management of casual staff and interns as and when required.
Teaching and Research
• Support the teaching of product development and food innovation within Massey University’s Food Technology programme.
• Support relevant undergraduate and postgraduate student projects.
• Support research projects undertaken by MIFST or our collaborators.
Tertiary qualification in food technology, product development or similar.
• Ideally, at least 3 years industry experience in developing food products and/or processes.
• Ideally, have experience within FMCG environment across multiple food and beverage groups.
• Sound technical knowledge on all aspects of food technology, including ingredients, food product development, shelf life and sensory.
• Good understanding of food processing operations.
• Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team on complex projects.
• Management experience is desirable.
Personal attributes and behaviours
The following skills and attributes are essential in this role:
• Enthusiasm for the food industry, food product and process development.
• Understanding of the commercial environment within the NZ food industry.
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Able to work well both independently and as part of a team.
• Strong project management and people co-ordination skills.
• An extensive personal network and inclination to maintain and further extend this network.
• Flexibility, initiative and resourcefulness.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• The ability to interact professionally with a diverse group including industry clients, university academics and technicians, students, executives and managers.
• A high degree of skill and experience using the Microsoft Office suite of products.