The Instructional Designer for Maker Education will join a dynamic and highly collaborative team within the Learning and Applied Innovation group at Colgate University. As one of four instructional designers, the successful candidate will bring curiosity and passion for the ways that maker technologies can enhance teaching, learning and creative work. This is an exciting opportunity to provide leadership for our fledgling makerspace “The Hub,” and to support continued exploration of the use of these technologies within the curriculum. The person in this role will regularly engage in instructional consultations, foster collaborative partnerships, and work to support innovative projects across the university.
In general, this position is accountable for providing assistance, mentoring and leadership in the use of current and emerging technologies in support of teaching, learning and research.
Accountable for supporting the use of maker technologies for pedagogy, scholarship and creative work, including the application of 3D technologies (e.g., printing, scanning, and modelling software), instructional use of microcontrollers (e.g., Arduino, Raspberry Pi), and technologies for creating immersive learning environments (e.g., 360 video, drones, VR/AR). Accountable for providing support in the strategic development of “makerspaces” that can drive innovative and co-curricular learning experiences for students.
Specific accountabilities include:
• Support, guide, and model incorporation of, research-based best practices in use of maker technologies when planning learning experiences.
• Regularly consult with faculty members to develop a grounded understanding of instructional approaches, course design challenges and scholarly interests.
• Collaboratively design and develop learning opportunities / programs for faculty focused on instructional methods, teaching strategies, and the effective use of currently available tools and technologies to enhance learning.
• Develop instructional materials and support resources for meaningful use of digital / instructional technologies in a variety of learning contexts.
• Manage and participate in team-based project work that involves faculty, staff, ITS colleagues, librarians and student media consultants.
• Build strong collaborative relationships with colleagues on the Learning and Applied Innovation team, the library and the Colgate Center for Learning, Teaching and Research (CLTR).
• Regularly engage with information (research, blogs, networked communities) related to technology-enhanced teaching and learning to inform practice.
Master’s degree in education, instructional design, educational technology or related field ( OR a Bachelor’s degree with an equivalent combination of relevant professional experience).
• Demonstrated experience assisting faculty members with the effective use of technology in traditional and technology-enabled learning environments (skills facilitating adult learning).
• Broad experience integrating web-based learning tools in educational contexts, combined with strong understanding of the use of maker technologies (e.g., 3D imaging, scanning & printing, microcontrollers, immersive environments VR / AR).
• Strong knowledge of instructional design principles / practices (e.g., needs assessments, task analysis, activity design, rapid prototyping, evaluation).
• Broad knowledge of the application of technology to enhance teaching, learning and research.
• Working knowledge of course design principles, and the planning of learning experiences.
• Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
• Excitement about learning that is driven by curiosity, imagination, creativity, and a desire to innovate.
• A firm commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
• Five (5) or more years experience working with clients in instructional design or educational development in a university setting.
• Deep understanding and knowledge of teaching and learning — minimum of three (3) years combined teaching experience (K-12 / college).
• Demonstrated knowledge and skills in project management.
• Experience designing and conducting program evaluations and/or research studies.
• Experience participating in large initiatives across an entire organization through consultation, facilitation, and training.