Department: College of Visual & Performing Arts (CVPA)
Instructor or Assistant Professor of Game Design – Programming
The George Mason University Computer Game Design Program, within the College of Visual and Performing Arts, seeks qualified candidates for an Instructor or Assistant Professor of Game Design in Programming. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The role of the Instructor or Assistant Professor of Game Design is to teach the undergraduate and graduate game design and programming courses, and help develop this future track in the Computer Game Design Program. Candidates are expected to pursue research (traditional or applied) and/or creative endeavors to make a significant contribution to the field. Key responsibilities include:
- Teaches a 4-4 load each academic year from an approved curriculum and develops future courses in game design/programming;
- Participates in school recruitment and retention initiatives, and activities determined by the Program Director;
- Motivates students to actively participate in all aspects of the educational process;
- Completes professional development and in-service activities in accordance with university standards;
- Maintains expertise in subject area and recommends improvements in curriculum design;
- When possible, participates in core course academic support programs, student mentoring and student professional associations; and
- Serves on program, college and university committees in consultation with the Program Director.
- Actively seeks external grants and contracts to support research and creative endeavors; and
- Participates in professional game design and game production-related organizations and conferences.
- Experienced and knowledgeable about all facets of the game design and game programming field, including technical, managerial and artistic advances; current research (traditional and applied); and industry developments.
- Master’s degree or significant equivalent professional experience.
- Extensive knowledge and experience working with and teaching all primary game design, production, and management software applications, engines, and tools, as well as related hardware.
- Applicable experience (minimum of five years is desired) in the industry; and expertise using current professional game engines, editors and project management software;
- Knowledge of multi-platform game production and publication;
- Knowledge of C# and C++;
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Proven critical thinking, problem-solving and judgment skills;
- Ability to successfully interact with the industry business and governmental communities;
- Possesses an approach that fosters a respectful, nonthreatening workplace environment; and
- Has a demonstrated commitment and ability to work collaboratively within a complex work environment.
- Publications of major entertainment or serious games and two years of higher education teaching in the subject matter area; and
- Terminal degree in game-related discipline;
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
Location: Fairfax, VA
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
How to apply
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, CV, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.