As the Mathematics Education, Assistant Professor you will teach undergraduate and graduate level courses, be involved in course and curriculum development, work effectively with diverse populations of students, colleagues, and members of the community at large, engage in productive research and grant seeking activities, and serve on dissertation committees. The Mathematics Education, Assistant Professor may be asked to coordinate an academic program.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
- Earned Doctorate (Ph.D. or Ed.D.) in mathematics education or closely related field (e.g. curriculum & instruction) from an accredited institution or equivalent accreditation with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in mathematics education from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- A demonstrated record of teaching, academic research, and service.
- Three years of teaching experience in PK-12 schools/or relevant teacher education experience.
- ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by August 7, 2019. If successful candidate is ABD, appointment will be made at an Lecturer level on a fixed contract (doctorate must be completed in one year).
- Experience teaching PK-12 school mathematics.
- Experience teaching undergraduate education courses.
- Experience securing research grants and/or grant seeking activities.
- Five years teaching in PK-12 schools in the United States or USA school located overseas; or teacher certification, that has been conferred within the past 5 years.
- Experience working with education interns.
- Proficiency in the use of technology for record keeping and instructional purposes.
- Understanding of and experience implementing state and national standards.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Knowledge and skill in the use of inquiry-based instructional models and strategies.
Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.