Ollscoil Mhá Nuad
Maynooth University is one of the four constituent universities of the National University of Ireland and in 2017 placed in the global top 50 universities under 50 years old in the Times Higher Education University Rankings. Formally established as an autonomous university in 1997, Maynooth University traces its origins to the foundation of the Royal College of St. Patrick in 1795, and draws on a heritage of more than 200 years of education and scholarship. It is located in the University town of Maynooth, 25km from the centre of Dublin, Ireland’s capital city.
The University is a modern institution – dynamic, research-led, engaged, and grounded in the traditions of liberal education. With more than 11,000 students, Maynooth is Ireland’s fastest-growing university, yet we retain a collegial campus culture that is central to our ability to bring significant interdisciplinary expertise to bear in tackling some of the most fundamental challenges facing society today.
The Innovation Value Institute
The Innovation Value Institute at Maynooth University is a “triple-helix” research and innovation institute whose vision is to bring cutting edge research in technology to bear on the digital innovation and technology adoption challenges faced by Irish and international enterprises, across both private and public sectors.
Digitalization and the global networking of information and communication technologies have transformed the opportunities available to users and user behaviour. On the one hand, user behavior is influenced by technological advances, on the other the direction of technological development is driven by user feedback, actions and needs.
The IVI goal is to be a global leader in digital services innovation and technology adoption. The Institute is supported by a consortium formed from key leaders of industry, public sector, not-for-profit organisations, and academics – who work together to frame the Institute’s research and innovation programme. This international consortium, which includes members such as Xilinx, E&Y, Intel and Boston Consulting Group, is the basis of a unique, practice-driven approach to digital innovation in large and small organisations. The institute has received core funding since 2009 under the Enterprise Ireland/ IDA Technology Centre initiative, and also hosts research funded by Science Foundation Ireland, European Commission and others.
We are now seeking an academic with a strong track record to complement IVI’s capacity for research in the broad area of information systems innovation. This will be a leadership post that will be a critical part of the next phase of the University’s strategy. The post will be a permanent appointment at professorial level, and will be held in an appropriate academic department.
A fundamental objective of IVI is to conduct industry-facing academic research in this challenging emerging landscape, and to build a successful, sustainable research institute with a mixture of public and private funding streams, that adds value to Irish and international enterprises. The independent research led by the Professor of Digital Services Innovation will be carried out in this context. The Professor of Digital Services Innovation will be responsible for building an internationally distinguished research programme at Maynooth, inspired by the challenges and opportunities of digital services innovation in both private and public sector contexts. This research programme will be transdisciplinary, and will draw in collaboration from academic researchers in departments across all three faculties of the university, and working with enterprise partners in the context of the IVI consortium.
Applications will be welcomed from outstanding researchers with a background in Business, Innovation, or Information Systems and a track record of high achievement in areas related to any of the following:
- Digital Services Innovation
- Digital Transformation in the Private and Public sectors
- Technology Management (e.g. Adoption, Diffusion, Implementation)
- New Business Models (e.g. Platform-Based, Service-Oriented)
- Business Process Design and Management
- Organisational Design and Change Management
- Digital Services for Cities and Regions
The Professor of Digital Services Innovation will:
- Be an internationally recognised research leader in a relevant area related to Business, Technology Management, Innovation or Information Systems;
- Have an excellent record of high quality and impactful publications;
- Have a demonstrated capacity for strategic and dynamic leadership on an international stage;
- Have a successful track record in, and be committed to, securing independent funding from public competitive sources and/or through private investment;
- Have experience of building a successful research programme with enterprise partners;
- Build collaborative partnerships within the University and with other national and international research centres;
- Be committed to supporting the educational mission of the university;
- Have a track record of successful PhD student supervision and research group management;
- Have an international network of research collaborators.
Professors will normally be expected to take up the role of Head of Department or Institute Director at an appropriate time, if requested by the President.
How to apply
For further details including full comprehensive job description please see the Maynooth University vacancies page at: www.maynoothuniversity.ie/human-resources/vacancies