About Western Kentucky University:
Western Kentucky University aspires to be the University of choice for faculty and staff who are dedicated to helping advance academic excellence. True to its spirit, WKU offers an inviting, nurturing, and challenging work environment, which is responsive to the needs of a diverse and ambitious learning community. WKU’s main campus is located on a hill overlooking the city of Bowling Green (population est. 60,000), and is acclaimed as one of the most beautiful in the nation. In addition, WKU serves the communities of Elizabethtown/Fort Knox, Glasgow and Owensboro through its regional campuses. We invite you to consider WKU as a place where your academic and professional dreams can be realized.
The successful candidate in this position will develop various parameter estimation algorithms for various processes and propose innovative solutions to optimize the process in real-time. There are several research projects mostly supported by world-class technology companies. Some projects are in optimization of heat and mass transfer processes and some are on optimization of advanced motor control techniques. The research associate will have the opportunity to work in highly active and well-equipped research lab, develop advanced theoretical models and supervise undergraduate students helping her/him in experimentation and model validation. This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated applicant who wants to utilize her/his expertise in the design and validation of control systems and tackle real-world problems in the context of adaptive control and machine learning. This is a one-year renewable research position. Renewal will be subject to availability of funds and good performance at the end of each year.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted, and assigned based on administrative discretion and institutional needs.
· Develop and validate dynamic models for various mechanical systems under different loading conditions
· Develop and validate real-time estimation algorithms and/or observers for some process
· Develop and validate a real-time optimization technique to reach a pre-defined objective function.
· Evaluate the performance of overall system with proposed estimators and optimizers
· Write grant proposals, with the help of PI, for various public and private funding agencies
· Write technical papers for publications in peer-reviewed journals
· Supervise and mentor undergraduate students involved in the project.
· Prepare documentations, interim as well as final reports, and present them to the industrial sponsor
· Master’s degree mainly in electrical, mechanical, and chemical engineering with expertise in one or more following areas: advanced control, adaptive control, optimization using machine learning, and/or motor drives
Knowledge and Skills Considered Essential for Success:
· Proven experience and strong expertise in one or more following areas: advanced system control (adaptive control and parameter estimation), machine learning, and/or motor drives.
· Strong desire to work in lab, design, and perform experiments to improve and optimize the proposed estimators and optimizers, leading to improved processes.
· Strong desire to work and mentor undergraduate students.
· Analytical and communication skills should be demonstrated through peer-reviewed journal publications.
· Result oriented, well-disciplined, and work with minimal supervision.
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
· Willingness to work outside of their discipline to accomplish project goals.
Salary Range: $41,141 – $53,000
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, age, uniformed services, veteran status, or physical or mental disability in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify the office of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services (EEO) at (270) 745- 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
How to apply
The following items must be submitted by visiting http://wku.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=98802:
· Cover Letter
You will receive email confirmation that your submission has been received. The candidate review process will generally begin as materials are received. The expected hire date is on or about July 15, 2018.