Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition
College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition invites applications for a 100%, non-tenured (Senior) Instructor or Lecturer in the Food Science concentration. This is a 9-month position, with up to a 2-month summer appointment for orientation and other departmental projects as needed.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO . To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
The responsibilities of the Instructor/Lecturer include teaching the following courses: FSHN 130 (Introduction to Food Science), FSHN 230 (Food Science Professional Issues) and other Food Science courses, as assigned, with topics such as the science of food preparation (FSHN 232). In addition to instruction, this position is responsible for the advisement of undergraduate students in the Food Science concentration (majors and minors) and summer orientation for incoming freshman and transfer students concentrating in Food Science. The incumbent will serve as faculty advisor for the registered student organization: Association of Food Technologists (AFT) and will be responsible for coordinating, preparing and submitting the Institute of Food Technologists food science program assessment. The incumbent will serve as a member of committees, as requested, and will perform other duties, including fostering industry relationships that potentially lead to professional opportunities (e.g., internships and full-time positions) for food science students and fostering alumni relationships.
- Master’s degree in food science or related discipline.
- Demonstrated teaching effectiveness.
- For Senior Instructor also evidence of substantial contributions to undergraduate teaching and curriculum development.
- Ph.D. degree in food science, or related discipline.
- Sustained excellence in teaching.
- For Senior Lecturer also evidence of substantial contributions to undergraduate teaching and curriculum development.
Required for all ranks
- Passion for undergraduate education and student development.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as a team member.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to utilize technology in instruction.
- Three years of successful teaching experience at accredited four-year institution of higher education.
- One to three years of successful advising and/or mentoring experience
Salary Statement: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Proposed Starting Date: March 16, 2019, or earlier based on candidate’s availability
How to apply
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by November 30, 2018. Electronic submission of applications is required (Word, RTF or PDF format). Please create your candidate profile at https://go.illinois.edu/FSHN-FS and upload your letter of application, curricula vitae, teaching statement, and the names, email addresses and phone numbers of three references. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date.
Unit Contact Information:
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Audra Martin at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.