Thank you for your interest in Truckee Meadows Community College. Once you start the application process you will not be able to save your work. Please ensure you have everything available to complete your application before you begin. Required documents to apply for the position are listed below in the posting.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at (775) 673-7168 or email@example.com.
Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC), located in Reno, Nevada is seeking applicants for a full-time, tenure-track, Economics Instructor.
In addition to those responsibilities listed below, areas of responsibility include (1) teaching assignments in Economics and Statistics as well as other assigned courses within the Division of Business and Social Sciences; (2) teaching classes as assigned in various locations and platforms; (3) providing guidance to part-time Economics instructors; (4) assisting the Department Chair and/or Dean as requested; and, (5) selecting textbooks in the discipline.
- Master’s degree in Economics or closely related discipline from a regionally accredited institution.
- One year (30 semester credit equivalent) of teaching experience at the post-secondary level related to the major teaching assignments.
- Doctorate degree in Economics or related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Teaching experience equivalent to two academic years (60 semester credit equivalent) at the post-secondary level in both online and classroom instruction.
- Two years professional experience outside academe.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
- Teach 30 (15/15) credit or contract hours during the academic year.
- Teach day, evening, and/or weekend classes at one or more college locations as well as online classes.
- Prepare lesson plans and course syllabi, create teaching aids, and provide students with instructional materials and activities for classroom use and as homework assignments.
- Instruct students in the discipline using appropriate course objectives, learning outcomes, and measures developed by Division of Business and Social Sciences faculty and evaluated by a college-wide Curriculum Review Committee (CRC).
- Regularly assess courses taught, and participate in formal course and program assessment conducted by the department.
- Assist with curriculum review and revision, and develop new course materials and pedagogical techniques to facilitate student learning.
- Utilize standard computer and audio/visual technology in the classroom and online instruction.
- Teach or supplement instruction with distance education platforms and online learning management systems.
- Maintain accurate records of student attendance and grades, and submit grades on time electronically.
- Hold a weekly minimum of 5 regular, published office hours on campus during the academic year.
- Participate in student advisement, recruitment, and retention efforts.
- Assist the department chair in mentoring part-time faculty.
- Attend and participate in non-classroom activities including department and division meetings, professional development workshops, college or NSHE committees, and community service activities.
- Annually define short-term and long-term professional development goals to remain current in the discipline.
- Perform duties in a manner consistent with College standards, mission, and goals, and comply with published College policies and procedures.
- Other duties as agreed upon with Division or Department head.
- Comply with departmental administrative responsibilities.
- Demonstrate awareness of diversity issues as they apply to instruction. Maintain sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and disabilities of community college students.
- Understand and accept the role to be played as a partner in an educational enterprise serving the best interests of the students.
- Communicate and interact effectively with students, staff, and the community.
- Work in a professional and collegial manner with staff, faculty and students in the best interests of the college and the people it serves.
- Perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with standards, mission and goals of Truckee Meadows Community College.
$46,691 Dependent on education and experience.
How to apply
- Cover Letter
- Current CV/Resume
- Copy of Unofficial Transcripts
- Contact information for three professional references.
Answer to the following question:
1. What is your teaching philosophy? Please provide specific examples of this philosophy in action.
Posting close date:
Applications will not be accepted on the closing date listed in this announcement. Applications must be complete and submitted prior to the date listed.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
All documents, including unofficial transcripts for academic positions, must be received on or before the closing date posted on the job announcements. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
This position may require that a criminal background check be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.