Thank you for your interest in Truckee Meadows Community College. Once you start the application process you will not be able to save your work. Please ensure you have everything available to complete your application before you begin. Required documents to apply for the position are listed below in the posting.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at (775) 673-7168 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC), located in Reno, Nevada, is seeking applicants for two full-time, tenure-track, English Instructors.
- Master’s degree in English or master’s degree in closely related field with relevant coursework (at least 15 graduate semester credit hours) to teach first-year and sophomore English courses.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a professional and collegial manner.
- Evidence of innovative instructional techniques and technologies as well as strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience teaching at a community college.
- Teaching experience equivalent to one academic year (30 semester credit equivalent) or more in English and composition.
- Demonstrated experience with faculty administrative tasks such as assessment, curriculum review and development, and program oversight.
- Willingness or ability to adjust curriculum/pedagogy to student and department needs and best practices in the field and based on assessment data.
- 5. Interest or ability in teaching developmental, reading, English as a Second language, dynamically-dated, dual credit, online, co-requisite, and/or accelerated courses.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, academic, and ethnic backgrounds. Teaching and workload assignments are scheduled throughout the calendar year, and may require evening and weekend obligations at one or more college locations.
- Perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with standards, mission, and goals of Truckee Meadows Community College.
- Instruct students in English, using appropriate course outcomes developed by college-wide subject area faculty; assess student performance in these courses.
- Teach 30 (15/15) credit or contact hours during the academic year, including day, evening, and/or weekend classes at one (1) or more college or dual credit locations as well as online classes.
- Assist with curriculum and program review, revision, assessment, and develop new course materials and innovative instructional concepts and techniques to facilitate student learning.
- Apply teaching techniques effective in a classroom or online setting utilizing state-of-the-art delivery systems.
- Demonstrate awareness of diversity issues as they apply to instruction. Maintain sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds as well as disabilities of community college students.
- Attend and actively participate in non-classroom activities such as College events, staff development, department, and division meetings, college or NSHE committees, and community service activities.
- Participate in student advisement, recruitment, and retention efforts.
- Annually define long- and short-range professional development goals to remain current in the discipline.
- Assist the department chair and coordinators in mentoring part-time faculty.
- Comply with departmental administrative responsibilities and published college and Nevada System of Higher Education policies and procedures.
- Maintain regular office hours in a shared or private office.
- Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with students, staff, and the community.
- Work in a professional and collegial manner with faculty and students in the best interests of the college and the people it serves.
- Other duties as assigned.
$46,691 depending on education and experience
How to apply
- Cover Letter
- Current CV/Resume
- Copy of Unofficial Transcripts
- Contact information for three professional references
Answers to the following questions:
- What is your teaching philosophy? Please provide specific examples of this philosophy in action.
- Provide a list of courses you have taught, a description of each course, and the number of times you have taught each of these courses.
- Describe your knowledge and application of course assessment.
- Describe how you would contribute to the College’s culture as a learning organization beyond teaching and teaching-related duties.
Posting close date:
Applications will not be accepted on the closing date listed in this announcement. Applications must be complete and submitted prior to the date listed.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
All documents, including unofficial transcripts for academic positions, must be received on or before the closing date posted on the job announcements. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
This position may require that a criminal background check be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.