Thank you for your interest in Truckee Meadows Community College. Once you start the application process you will not be able to save your work. Please ensure you have everything available to complete your application before you begin. Required documents to apply for the position are listed below in the posting.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at (775) 673-7168 or email@example.com.
Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC), located in Reno, Nevada, is seeking applicants for a full-time, tenure-track, Foreign Language Instructor.
- Master’s degree in Spanish or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a professional and collegial manner
- Evidence of innovative instructional techniques and technologies as well as strong written and oral communication skills.
- Additional qualifications to teach Italian, French, or other modern language offered by the College.
- Teaching experience equivalent to one academic year (30 semester credit equivalent) in foreign languages.
- Demonstrated experience with faculty administrative tasks such as assessment, curriculum review and development, and program oversight.
- Experience/education in Heritage Speakers of Spanish instruction.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds. Teaching and workload assignments are scheduled throughout the calendar year, and may require evening and weekend obligations at one or more college locations.
- Instruct students in foreign languages, using appropriate course outcomes developed by college-wide subject area faculty; assess student performance in these courses.
- Teach 30 (15/15) credit or contact hours during the academic year.
- Assist with curriculum review, revision, and develop new course materials and innovative instructional concepts and techniques to facilitate student learning.
- Apply teaching techniques effective in a classroom or online setting utilizing state-of-the-art delivery systems.
- Demonstrate awareness of diversity issues as they apply to instruction. Maintain sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds as well as disabilities of community college students.
- Attend and actively participate in non-classroom activities such as College events, staff development, department, and division meetings, college or NSHE committees, and community service activities.
- Participate in student advisement, recruitment, and retention efforts.
- Participate in student learning outcomes assessment, including program unit reviews, and serve as the head faculty in courses taught.
- Annually define long- and short-range professional development goals to remain current in the discipline.
- Provide professional assistance to staff and students.
- Assist the department chair in mentoring part-time faculty.
- Comply with departmental administrative responsibilities.
- Maintain regular office hours in a shared or private office.
- Communicate and interact effectively with students, staff, and the community.
- Work in a professional and collegial manner with faculty and students in the best interests of the college and the people it serves.
- Perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with standards, mission, and goals of Truckee Meadows Community College.
- Teach day, evening, and/or weekend classes at one (1) or more college locations as well as online classes.
- Comply with published college policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
$46,691 depending on education and experience
How to apply
- Cover Letter
- Current CV/Resume
- Copy of Unofficial Transcripts
- Contact information for three professional references
Answers to the following questions:
- What is your teaching philosophy? Please provide specific examples of this philosophy in action.
- How do you see this position fitting into your long-term and short-term career goals?
- Describe your knowledge and application of course assessment.
- Describe how you would contribute to the foreign language program and the College’s learning organization culture beyond teaching and teaching-related duties.
Posting close date:
Applications will not be accepted on the closing date listed in this announcement. Applications must be complete and submitted prior to the date listed.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
All documents, including unofficial transcripts for academic positions, must be received on or before the closing date posted on the job announcements. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
This position may require that a criminal background check be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.